cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sybase replIcation failover - hibernation mode

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I have setup Sybase replication with version 120 and done failover/failback couple of times and it was sucessful.

recently I had done another failover for testing but I ended up in error. attach screen shot .

PurgeReplicationServerQueue            Failing Command Error Message  Failed connecting to the RSSD for Replication on host 'TSN_saprp1'  for server named 'TSN_saprp1'.

PurgeReplicationServerQueue            Failing Exception              SQL ERROR -- Message: 'com.sybase.jdbc4.jdbc.SybSQLException: The Replication Server is in hibernation mode.
SQLState: 'null'  Remote Code: '0' Cause: 'The Replication Server is in hibernation mode.'.

please help

Regards

Mohammad

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Mark_A_Parsons
Contributor
0 Kudos

If your question is how to get the repserver out of hibernation mode: sysadmin hibernate_off

If your question has to do with why the sap command (stored proc?) failed ... you'll need to open a case with SAP tech support.

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks Mark will take up with SAP on OSS message

SAP  Sybase experts on SDN any ideas please

Regards

Mohammad

former_member182259
Contributor
0 Kudos

Not sure what all happened - but sometimes folks will use sysadmin hibernate in order to purge a queue of any residual open transactions....it looks like the switch process was going to attempt this, and in order to do so, wanted to connect to the RSSD to get the queue number(s), but was blocked as SRS was already in hibernate mode for some reason.....perhaps the last switch never really completed all the way....

Best bet is to open a message with SAP support.....you can try a sysadmin hibernate_off as Mark suggests and see if that allows the switch to complete. 

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mohammed,

Jeff's description is very close.

The sap_hostavailable command is executed in DR Agent when the the 'failing' host is a failover situation is once again available.

The Replication paths and queues from that old host to the current HADR primary are purged (we don;t want any stale activity from the old HADR primary to corrupt what has already occurred at the new HADR primary).  And to perform that asction in Replication Server, the server is placed in hibernation mode - queues are purged - and the hibernation mode is released.

In your case, it appears some prior process placed the Replication Server in hibernation mode, but did not complete its task.

I noticed in the first jpeg, the sap_hostavailable command failed because it thought the command was being executed against the wrong host.  Perhaps this is an indication the initial failover itself did not execute successfully?  ('sap_status task' shows the status ofthe last asynchronous task executed - if failover was the last task, the status may still be viewable).

Regardless of how we reached this state, Marks recommendation to execute sysadmin hibernate_off in the Replication Server, then re-run the sap_hostAvailable command.

Regards,
Stephen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I have tried sysadmin hibernate_off it doesnt work. as it was test setup  i decided to build up again but with  RS 15.7.1 SP200 , is it ceritied by SAP ?

Regards

Mohammad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mohammed,

No, I do not think SAP has certified SP200 with Business Suite for ASE.

SP200 begins to support some new ASE 16.0 features - which require additional certification (both RepServer and ASE certification).

I don't think that means your testing will fail, but it is not certified.

Reqards,
Stephen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Stephen,

Thanks , I have started setting up replication environment but  installation master end up saying version not recognized.

SWPM used is latest one (SWPM10SP05_2-20009707.SAR)

any ideas

Regards

Moammad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mohammad,

Sorry - I should have thought of that - the SAP installer will not recognize the SP200 version for Replication Server or DR Agent.  (As we identified  - SP200 is not certified, which ends up meaning not supported by SAP tooling).

Rather than trying to work around the lack of tooling support, my recommendation would be to revert back to the supported SP120 version of Replication Server.

Regards,
Stephen