cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TAO vs CBTA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Hoping somebody can provide me with some insight.

I'm wondering what the difference is between SAP TAO and CBTA within test management of SAP SolMan.

They look a lot alike!!!!

Regards,

David

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Vivek_Hegde
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David,

The simple answer would be;

CBTA is used in Test Option 1 where all the Testcases/suits are maintained in SAP Solution Manager. Here solution manager would be the leading Test Management application.

TAO is lot like CBTA but it is used in Test Option 2 where you have HPQC/ALM test management suit in place and is the leading Testing tool. HPQC is where you would maintains test scripts/cases and it acts as a driver in all testing activities.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, I get that.

Would I be able to combine the two options?

So use automated test scripts created with CBTA, but replicate that to HPQC, which is in fact my leading test tool?

Regards,

David

Vivek_Hegde
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David,

I am not very certain of this. but my take is, it is not possible since CBTA is designed to work with Test Automation Framework in Solution Manager and not for HP ALM Test Lab module.

So it is kind of a TAO for Test Option 1 .  Only SAP Support will give you a confirm Yes or No since no customer have tried the option (Test Option 1.5) that you are looking at

Regards,

Vivek

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David,

Technically there are more possibilities than we can read through standard documents based upon my experience.

for e.g when I was integrating solman 4.0/7/0 with QTP everybody told me this is not possible as there is not a clear documentation on this but I did and infact published it as well....can check below series

So today that question is not using TAO or CBTA or integrating there scripts etc....rather what is your primary aim of testing ?

which are application of testing ?

what is the customer landscape and ease of your SAP functional team to do it or use which testing tool?

In my experience it is a hard nut to crack convincing any non SAP guys to leave QTP(etc) and move to CBTA/TAO but again varies from scenario to scenario

You can set them both up but then what ....whether team will use TAO or CBTA or QTP(etc) so the choice is more from functional perspective using the above queries identify the same.

happy to help again

Thanks

Prakhar

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

sonalkumar
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello David,

CBTA is positioned in Test Option 1 (Test Management with SAP Solution Manager) and SAP TAO is positioned for Test Option 2 (Test management with HP ALM).

Now more details about CBTA:

1. CBTA does creation of modular test in SAP SolMan as SAP TAO does in HP ALM

2. CBTA is available since SolMan 7.1 SP07

3. A recent release of CBTA in SolMan 7.1 SP12 supports SAP UI5 over and above ( SAP GUI, SAP CRM, WD-ABAP, WD-JAVA, SAP GUI for HTML, BSP). Same UI technology is supported with SAP TAO 3.0 SP04 (latest).

If you are using test option 2 - test management with HP ALM, I would recommend to use SAP TAO. Also please note SAP TAO is licensed and CBTA is available with Enterprise support contract.

Regards,

Sonal Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sonal,

I am using CBTA SP2 on SOLMAN 7.1 SP12.

I have done the recording for one of the scenario in the SAP Portal 7.30 and it was working fine.

But when I have recorded another scenario on the Portal then after that I have tried to execute this scenario then the values on the subscreen were not filled.

Can you please help me in this case?

Thank you,

Deepanker Mahajan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Advantages With CBTA

1) No need to worry  about Licenses , So no.of SAP users can get access to use this tool, With 3rd party  tool get only 2 licenses only.

2) Full compatibility with sap products and user friendly to genarate Test scripts in  CBTA.

3) With CBTA you have option to  combined  UFT\QTP OR SAP TAO.

4) We can create semi TBOMS in CBTA ,It is not possible in 3rd party test tool.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is the official answer of SAP:

CBTA is meant to work only with Solution Manager. There is no way you

can replicate the test script stored in Solman in HPQC.

To work with HPQC you should use Test Acceleration and optimization

(TAO). It is a test automation tool which store tests into HPQC.