cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full System Backup?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

How can i take the full system backup (including OS) which is running with ECC 6.0 on Oracle 10G platform? Is it OK to take full system backup after closing Oracle and SAP services? With this can i recover the whole sytem?

Regards,

Vikram

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Vikram,

You can go for any one of the following combinations:

1) Offline backup + OS backup

2) Online backup + offline redo log files + OS backup

3) Online consistant backup + OS backup

(For Windows platform: Include windows registry in OS backup)

I guess it's sufficient to recover the whole system

Regards,

Ammey Kesarkar

<i>'Award points for useful info'</i>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanx a lot for your replying my queery!! With Full System Backup together (OS + SAP) cant i recover the system to the backup date? Bcoz i have read in one of SAP doc that we can take the backup after closing SAP and Oracle Services and i too have recovered the whole system after the installation of fresh ECC 6.0. But know the system is live now.

Regards,

Vikram

Former Member
0 Kudos

for live system backup you should take daily online + redolog files and weekly offline of your db backup and OS backup.

Cheers,

-Sunil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Vikram,

You are only required to stop/close SAP & Oracle services for 'Offline' backup senario.

You do not have to stop SAP & Oracle for 'Online' backup senarios.

If you recover the system using ofline backup, you can open the database.

But incase you recover using online backup, you have to recover the database by applying redo log files & then open the database.

Regards,

Ammey Kesarkar

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

if Oracle is down, you can safely do a full Os backup of all drives. no problems.

if you cannot shutdown Oracle for backup, check online backup using brbackup.

more on backup strategies at http://service.sap.com/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=00200797470000049528&;

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanx again for ur valuable suggestion ..:)). Obviously i'm taking regular backup of production system (Morn Archv log + Online backup Eve + Eve Archv log). But if anything wrong with the OS in that scenario i can recover whole system together. I just want to know whether it is possible to recover this way? Also, i can follow this practice for QA server as very rare we are using it.

Regards,

Vikram

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

what is you OS? the OS backup strategy will change a bit depending on OS.

Former Member
0 Kudos

what happen if something goes wrong between moring and evening? do you have any backup of the archive logs for this time?

cheers,

-Sunil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vikram,

In theory, a .tgz of <b>/oracle, /sapmnt, /usr/sap</b> and <b>/home/<sid>adm</b> and all its contents, could be sufficient. At practice, if everything was lost and you want to recover, you will have problems to run your system...

Recommended to have a good B/R policy to minimize downtime in case of disaster.

Best Regards,

JC Llanes.