cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM 7.1 installation / system copy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

New to MDM administration here so please help. I have a MDM 7.1 Production system running on windows and ms sql. Now i need to create a new QA system as a copy of this prod system. I am confused as to whether i should use the archive/unarchive procedure to move the repository content or shall i use the SQL backup/restore to copy the DB. I have about 8-9 small DBs in my MDM system -- around 1 GB each and I have one big DB around 200 GB that I believe has all the master data.

Shall i first copy the DBs and then do MDM installation or shall i only do a fresh install and then archive/unarchive the repositories ?? will archive/unarchive bring over all my data and configuration like connections to PI, ECC system etc ?

Also, i would like to know how to modify the connections etc in MDM to point to the correct QA systems after a system copy ?

Thanks,

BV

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reagan,

Seems like below note is obsolete can you please help me here

1465119 - System Migration/Copy of MDM repositories between landscapes

we need to migrate for MDM system 7.1 which on AIX DB2 to same version of MDM 7.1 migrate to MaxDB and Linux

Can you guide me

Thanks,

Avinash

former_member45419
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Basis,

pls refer below links for MDM system copy,

https://help.sap.com/nwmdm

Regards

KN

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks RB and KJ.

I am a little confused about the different databases that come into play in a MDM system ? Is it correct that there are following 3 DBs involved:

1. Main database that we use during the installation

2. DB that holds master data or is this the same db as # 1 ?

2. Repository databases

Also, do we have to export any JAVA SDM data using sapinst like we do when we copy other JAVA systems like portal, bw etc ?

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Benjamin,

this note only talks about repositories. I want to know about the underlying DBs as well

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

in that case consider doing a DB backup and restore. Makes sense ?

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

So does this sequence makes sense :

1. Copy the underlying MDM Database (the database that contains the real transactional data of MDM system) to the target system DB

2. Install MDM system on target system using the newly copied DB

3. archive/unarchive the repositories from Source to target

4. Change settings in MDM to point connections to QA systems like ECC, CRM etc (how do you actually do that ??  via mdm console ?? )

Thanks

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

This should be fine.

Once done I would follow the post installation activities to make sure everything is alright.

https://websmp108.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700001668482008E

Regards

RB

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You may refer to refresh steps explained in the thread

Even though it is for 5.5 but it should work.

Additionally refer to Admin guide for MDM 7.1

http://www.packtpub.com/sites/default/files/2145EN-Chapter-3-Accessing-the-MDM-System.pdf

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Deepak, the link that you are referring to talks about refreshing an existing system. Also, it does not clarify as to what all Databases need to be refreshed.

For me, this is going to be a new QA system and I am trying to understand the sequence of steps involved.