cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Business Model: What kind of consultant will arise?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Some evangelists predict the 'death of the consultant' as is there. To what extent we will be affected by this revolution?

"With the availabilty of the HANA technology, exisiting business processes become real-time, process steps become obsolete, new process will evolve that were not possible so far and companies will invent new business models based on new products and services - all that requireed consultants who support that transition!"

Michael Lamade (OpenSAP Team)

"Future does not have to be an increment of the past."

Dr. Vishal Sikka, quoting Alan Kay in "An Introduction to SAP HANA"

What do you think?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

BTW, I'd propose moving this discussion to the space, for more visibility and participation.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gilson,

Henrique is right. Could you move the discussion to SAP NetWeaver BW Powered by SAP HANA and also change the status so we can get more responds.

Regards Jon

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Only a moderator can. But thinking twice, the original message was not about BW, it was rather generic, it wasn't until half in the discussion that the BW discussion came up. So I'd leave it as is or create a new BW-specific thread.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yeap, the question was open and wide. Naturally we talk about BW for different reasons but we also can reach consultants from ERP, Netweaver… Henrique made important considerations above and I am taking a time to look the links posted. From my point of view, even SAP BW, at a first impression, being the first ‘victim’, consultants from this side have some competitive advantages: we have a better understanding of database and modeling; we have always been exposed to new technologies (Portal, Java, Visual Composer, BO, ETLs tools etc.). So, we are not so ‘contaminated’ with a mainly process-oriented system. 

0 Kudos

Mr Gilson,

You are the best! I am a big fan of yours!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rafael Paulino da Silva,

Am I the best or the beast?

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Of course, any future predictions will most likely be off by a lot. But one piece is kinda clear to me: the consulting companies need to reinvent themselves. The kind of service that has made them make big money until 2010 isn't gonna cut it in the next decade. Commodity development services are likely to be less and less needed, as the development platforms mature, while more "thinking minds" will be required to drive these less descriptive and more cognitive newer platforms. Those companies that are able to shift from a development-oriented business model to an added-value services model, with revenue generating consultants (such as data scientists who are able to identify and overcome margin leaks) being the rule and not the exception (as they are today) are gonna be the leading companies in the future.

Best regards,

Henrique.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gilson,

Henrique is right, Could you imagine a job was being posted and this by a consultancy company who want everything. This the job title: SAP BW (BPC-APO-BO, BODS & SAP HANA Studio).

The most impacted area at the minute is SAP BW. Orcle DB and any database is being replace by SAP HANA Database. The SAP HANA studio is a front end which enable you to creat Agile Data Mate and this for Agile data modelling.

Regards Jon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Henrique,

This is the high point of your opinion: Commodity development services are likely to be less and less needed, as the development platforms mature, while more "thinking minds" will be required to drive these less descriptive and more cognitive newer platforms. Working as a consultant and as well as in business, I have a vision of how hard is going to be to have consultants understanding new roles. In other forum this question brought a lot of ideas, information and insights. I am going to post some of these here. 

Kind Regards,

Gilson

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jon,

SAP BW is the first ‘victim’. OLAP and OLTP are merged in this new platform and the first idea is ‘BW is not needed anymore’. However Mr. Michael Lamade states: there are several aspects that determine, whether the usage of BW still makes sense e.g. to which degree historical data are used in the reports, whether BW is used to consolidate data (also 3rd party) across systems, whether customer needs a full EDW, complexity of analytical calculations, etc…

On the other hand, talking about Lamade’s comment, in a long term even these usages for SAP BW will be replaced or even put aside.

The funny thing: SAP HANA, out here, was viewed at the begging as a ‘reporting tool’, a kind of reporting accelerator. The second idea was SAP HANA as a database and finally we arrived in a comprehension of SAP HANA as a new concept. We have to learn a lot!

Regards,

Gilson

Former Member
0 Kudos

Found this clip on Youtube SAP BW to Stay. Do you believe anything he says?

SAP BW is Here to Stay! - YouTube

Regards Jon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not really! But what would he say: guys, I am here to announce a death. BW was a good guy...

My words can create a controversy but I say: Bill Inmon’s star-schema is gone!

Gilson

Former Member
0 Kudos

You know people will be reading this and say we need to have a leap of faith.

Where are all the BW Consultant out there???? Looks like every BW consultant gone quite this topic . !!!!!!!

Do you all think our evangelist Gilson is right? Your comment is require.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yeap, they (we) are quiet!

By the way, I might used the wrong term since Evangelists, by definition, are those who bring good news!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ladies and Gentlemen.

1. Do you think LSA ++ is the beginning of the end of star schema and the raise of SAP HANA Studio for the future?
  2. Customer want SAP HANA studio and they don't know why except it being fast and do you think they need to be educated on this?
  3. Is Agile Data Mart data modelling the Way for the future (SAP HANA Studio)?

Your input is very much appreciated and welcome.

Regards Jon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Fantastic!

Good points!!

I will give a try later.

Tks!

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't believe BW is really dying as a "modeling environment".

What might probably happen is for BW to disappear as an additional persistence layer (the BW Box), i.e. the Embedded BW scenario tends to gain more and more visibility. With virtual infoproviders and transformations being pushed down to the HANA layer, you can get pretty much the same results than a persistent BW with very good performance and 1/10th of the data footprint (zero replication).

This is already true today. Check for example the details on the analytical applications on top of SFIN (Smart Financials) 1.0. SFIN is the new FI module (aka HANA GL), rebuilt from scratch on top of HANA. i.e it is the first piece of ERP that was not adapted but born on top of an in-memory architecture. It was what HANA was developed for in the first place (i.e. the next-generation SAP ERP architecture). And its analytical applications, for example the new SAP Smart Cash Management app, are completely built on top of Virtual Infoproviders in Embedded BW (i.e. BW as a LDW, Logical Data Warehouse). This means the modeling skills of BW Consultants are not gonna disappear, they'll still be required since BW infoproviders on top of VIPs, Composite Providers, BEx Queries etc. are all gonna be there for a long, long time.

More details on SFIN analytical apps:

Smart Financials 1.0 – SAP Help Portal Page

https://websmp102.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000164402014E/SmartFinancials_RN_EN.pdf

BI Content for SAP Smart Cash Management - SAP Library

Adaptations for Smart Financials Planning Applications - Integrated Business Planning - SAP Library

SAP delivers the following planning applications:

• Cost center planning on years and periods
  • Project planning on years and periods
  • Internal order planning on years and periods
  • Market segment planning on years and periods
  • Profit center planning on years and periods
  • Functional area planning on years and periods
  • P&L planning on years and periods

These applications consist of “local” BI content. “Local” means that this BI content is shipped with the Smart Financials system and not with the “central” BI content. Local content runs on the ERP system directly using the “Embedded BW” and does not need a separate BW installation. The content for Smart Financials planning consists of HANA views, InfoProviders, MultiProviders, Aggregation Levels, Queries, Filters, Planning functions, Planning sequences, and Analysis Workbooks.

Another point is that this means that the investments that SAP customers have made on top of BW are also going to be protected.

They just need to adapt the Data Source layer to the new ODP (Operational Data Provisioning) concept and the rest will pretty much work as is.

The same adaptions are being made by SAP in the standard BI Content.

Best regards,

Henrique.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gilson,

why not become an evangelist like them and start predicting other consultants' death?

Just a thought...

gm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good idea! Is it well paid?

I think you know the meaning of "consultant's death". Consultant as we are today.

Former Member
0 Kudos

we get paid as well as we keep our customers happy.

part of our jobs should be to stay on the lookout for new opportunities and adding values to existing processes. BS on HANA seems to offer both. no guarantees, though.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This are early days and customers have a choice to make.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am SAP consultant as well. SAP Hana is such a big change that I am trying to undestand the impact of it in our career. I am not afraid of changes. In my early days I could not walk.

Thank you for your thoughts anyway.

Kind Regards,

GIlson

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am thinking in about 5 to 7 years from now.

Thnaks Jon!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Its does cross your mind though thinking about it. I think perhaps 5 - 7 years down the line we have to find a new path.

Regards Jon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jon,

I am not interested only as a consultant. I am working with business models, recruitment industry and new profiles in SAP Hana Environments, and sales strategies. Such a big change can affect different sectors and my challenge is trying to anticipate possible opportunities. In 1999/2000 I wrote my Master thesis (University of Westminster, London) about 'The Realization of e-commerce via mobile platforms'. The realization took around 5 – 7 years to become a full reality. Was my predictions corrected? Not at all!

Kind Regards!