cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OVS with Extension Fields

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi colleagues,

Do you guys know how can I make Object Value Selector (OVS) with Extension Fields in standard screens show the Description after an item is selected? Because after you select an item it shows the ID in the field instead of the description differently than what all of the standard OVS does in the system.

I know how to do it with an Embedded Component I created, but can't do the same thing when I'm extending a standard Quick Create because I can't change the Properties and can only use the Extensibility Explorer. There, I couldn't find any option to do this.

I attached a screenshot of the screen I'm extending. The Account and Primary Contact fields are standard. The Target Account is my extension field and as you can see it only shows the ID instead of the description like the other two fields.

Thanks in advance,

Nícolas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Nicolas,

I do not know if we have other ways, which I am afraid there is no. For my experience, I have this requirement from customer also.   What I did is to have another extension field , may called "Target Account Description" and when You select the target account ID, you can use Aftermodify script to get the description for the account ID that you choose.

In this way, customer will see ID/Description for your target account. Just not the same as standard OVS did.

Thanks.

Chris

HorstSchaude
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Nicolas,

for a Custom BO you can do this in the UI Designer by defining mapping between an identifier and a description field either in the data model or in the BO model.

Unfortunately this is not possible with the Extensibility Explorer.

Sorry,

Horst

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yeah, I think this is the best option though not the ideal one.

Thank you all for the help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We really need that feature on extension fields!!

HorstSchaude
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Fernando,

Sorry, but there are only limited resources available w.r.t.  the Extensibility Explorer.

So I doubt that this will come.

Sorry,

Horst

carlonnheim
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi horst.schaude,

What is the status on this issue now? There are plenty of options available in the UI designer to configure the OVS and we are able to get the description to show when the user has just selected it, but after saving and coming back to the screen the description is gone and only the ID shows.

It is very difficult to work around this, linking in the description in a separate field makes a "dead copy" of the description value, e.g. if the description of the linked object changes it does not come through. The UX impact of not showing the ID is quite severe - the user has to open the OVS and search for the key already in the field to identify what it represents.

Is this gap closed by now, and if so are there any guides on how to configure it in the UI designer? If not, is there an expected timeline to close it?

Thanks!

//Carl

HorstSchaude
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Carl,

I am no longer (since some years) with the SAP Cloud Applications Studio, so I can not tell you the current state.

Sorry
. Horst

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member640082
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

an u show me how can i achieve this using EC?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I also considered creating an Embedded Component and then adding it to the Quick Create, but unfortunately embedded components in Quick Creates can't be viewed in the iPad. So, I need to use extension fields.