cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

export & import of sap<sid> schema for building a new system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have a quality BW system which runs on HANA SPS07 (Revision 73). The database contains many schemas in addition to sap<sid>, the rest of the schemas are used through native HANA and are very huge.

We are planning to build a new test BW system by system copy method from quality BW systems. We dont want the export/import of entire database as it will take a long time because of huge native HANA schemas, also the schemas other than sap<sid> are not required in the target. Please let me know how to copy only the sap<sid> schema to the new database.

Thanks & Regards,

Saravanan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member190691
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Saravanan,

Try with rigth clic on schema -> Export,

Select CSV format, choose a directory.

And for import the schema use the follow query:

import "old_schema"."*" as CSV from 'Directory' with replace threads 10 rename schema "old_schema" to "NEW_schema_name";

Regards.

Ferando.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Fernando,

I've connected as a SYSTEM user. Whether in the Catalog folder, i need to right click on the schema & export?

Thanks

former_member190691
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, on the schema that you want to export, then follow the screen.

Regards.

Fernando.

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Saravanan

why don't you simply backup and restore the database and drop all the schemas you don't want to keep from the restored instance?

- Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

Thanks for the suggestion. But the problem is other schemas are very huge, so the export/import time will be long. Also we need more disk space for taking the backup.

Thanks & Regards,

Saravanan

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Alright, then

Be aware that a backup is not an export of the database and the restore of it won't take very long at all. In fact you could leverage existing backups and simply recover them.

Anyhow - your choice.

If you cannot follow this approach, all you can do is to perform a parallel export/import of the schemas you are actually interested in. Shouldn't be that difficult either.

Just as with the backup/restore approach you want to make sure that you perform the I/O operations against a mutually mounted/shared file system so that you spare the additional copy effort.

Finally the last option I see is to use SLT and perform an initial load - this won't be faster but you can avoid temporary disk usage altogether (if you already got a SLT instance in your landscape).

- Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

If we run SWPM, whether do we get any option to export the particular schema alone or only the entire database will be exported?

Thanks