cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Mapping Model extensions to support LDM/CDMs as Source/Target ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

In DMM there are only 3 Source/Target Types (Database/XML/Process)  and in Database it´s only possible to assign "physical Database Models"

How could i assign a LDM or CDM as a Source or Target ?

Currently i "know" it´s not possible but the Question is could thhis behaviour changed with xem Definitions or with

Ressource=> Extentions => DMM ?

thanks

/br

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Thomas,

Very good question!

We have experience in DataVault and ERD Datamodeling for BI and EPM [enterprise performance 360 degree monitoring] gathered in the last 10 yrs.

Indeed with PwrDesigner EM you can design the Mappings.

The actual ETL mapping & data loading can be implemented [and designed as well] in BODS.

Loading via DataVault requires a dozen of technical ETL mappings, incl. PIT, Point In Time insertion. So no sinecure.
The alternative is good, but no so.. old!         SAP BW ! 🙂

If you need more info, pls let me know.

robert ten bosch

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

i don't think that DMM is the right choice of what you want to do.

If you want to define and show flows between CDM/LDM/PDM/XML models you may use the Mapping Editor (ME). ME is available in all of the above models and can be started with Tools/Mapping Editor., in the example below a  Data Flow between CDM and LDM has been created.:

In ME define a data source (which pints to a model of your choice), select if you want to read/write the source and afterwards you may draw the mappings per point and click.

In Impact Analysis you see the mappings and analyse them accordingly.

kind regards

Klaus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hallo Klaus ,

i know what you explain but my question was right. Because we want to Map between physical and logical Data Models in this way.

SDM : Source Data Model = physical Representation of Tables/Views

BDM : Business Data Model = logical or conceptional Representation of a Business Model

CDM:  Common Data Model =  Physical Data Model derived or mapped from BDM

(you explain me this part a derivation from BDM into a CDM

and yes this is correct and usefull but ... )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

we need this mappings

SDM     =dmm=>      BDM         =dmm=>      CDM 

because BDM and PDM must not have the same "Structure" one could be in 3 NF and the other

a Data Vault or Star/Snowflak etc..

I know i could derive from BDM (ldm) into a 1:1 "pdm and than i could use in the standard way DMM´s

but we want to avoid additional transformations as much as possible because the mapping chain will grow with each.

br thomas

0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

I second Klaus on this.

The DMM is designed to model the data movements (e.g. ETL for your DW).

You can use the mappings even between elements of different type of models, e.g from your Source Physical Model (PDM) to Business logical/conceptual model (LDM/CDM) to the Common Physical (PDM).

The structures could be different or you can have functions or calculations, you are not limited to one-to-one mappings.

We are also doing Data Vaut modeling and we are using mappings to define the ETL between the different layers (source->stage->DV->DM), and generate the ETL code from these mappings.

Plus have a complete lineage

HTH,

Gabor