cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can PI connect two different SLD's

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have are looking to avoid so many SLD's at our landscape, each PI system has its own, Solman has its own too, there is also a central SLD and we would like to eliminate as many SLD's as possible so here comes the doubt.

As I don´t know much about PI and want to get clear about PI and SLD connection what I basically would like to know is if PI could be getting information from two different SLD's. I can see that in SLDAPICUST a second or more lines can be added. At some posts I see SLDAPICUST is used by PI to read data from SLD.

Is this context, if I add a second line with a different SLD in ABAP PI, in case the first SLD is down sholud PI look at the second SLD?

I have also read that to have SLD HA I will need to set virtual host names so it can be redirected to different physical host server, if this is the only way mentioned everywhere then is obvious that PI can only connect to a single SLD so I just want to be clear to desing a correct SLD strategy.

Kind regards.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

vadimklimov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Alberto,

At a single point of time, the system (PI, ERP, EP, or any other SAP system) can be connected to only one SLD. If you would like to populate several SLDs with data from the single connected system, it will be necessary to connect the system to a single SLD and then configure SLD synchronization / data suppliers between SLDs so that one SLD can feed the other SLD with necessary data.

In transaction SLDAPICUST, it is possible to maintain several entries for multiple SLDs, but just one of them should be marked as primary (corresponding check box in SLDAPICUST). Details from the SLD connection entry that is selected as primary, will be used when establishing connection to the respective SLD.

Regards,

Vadim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vadim,

Thanks for your explanation, I have now another doubt, if I need to take down the primary SLD, can I just get in SLDAPICUST and change the primary mark to the next SLD? What I'm trying is to keep PI connected to a working backup SLD while the main SLD is up and running again.

Kind Regards,

vadimklimov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alberto,

Technically - yes, this is possible. You can maintain several enties for different SLDs and switch between them by setting the respective SLD as a primary in tx. SLDAPICUST.

But practically, it is not recommended to perform this switch without any specific strong requirement on regular basis. The user case that you have described, perfectly fits requirement for highly available cluster for SLD. Here, together with proper scale out, it will be possible to reduce downtime of SLD to a minimum and guarantee that if one of cluster nodes crashes or becomes unavailable for any other reason, failover mechanisms will keep SLD reachable for SLD data suppliers / clients. It is important to mention, that for SLD data supplier / client, the endpoint that is used when connecting to SLD, does not change and always remains the same (virtual host and service of the HA balancer/rounter) - node switchover/failover is done transparently for systems that connect to SLD (like for PI). In this way, configuration in tx. SLDAPICUST will alsways use the same host/port combination of the HA cluster balancer/router and will not need to be changed/switched manually.

Regards,

Vadim

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey, thanks for sharing all this information, I appreciate it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Alberto,

There is all the flavors to architect this but the most important thing to consider is that PI need the have the latest SLD version in the landscape.

One more thing, all SAP systems need SLD just at the start up however PI required the SLD to be up running during the runtime. SO PI can't operate without an SLD.

This is why the SLD for PI prod should get all the focus...

Cheers,
Fouad

marksmyth
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Alberto,

In addition, you can consolidate all PI systems to feed into one Central SLD. This SLD can be installed anywhere (any of the PI's, Solman or even any other Java host).

See the notes below for the configurations required to point your PI systems:
1) 720717 Reduce the number of System Landscape Directories (SLD)

2) 768148 Using a separate SLD for XI

You will also find some useful information in the resources below:
System Landscape Directory (SLD)

System Landscape Directory: Planning Guide

Regards
Mark