cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it recommended to test SAP functionalities after an Oracle Upgrade ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

As we have to upgrade his SAP ECC from Oracle 10.2.0.2 to Oracle 11g in his productive system, a customer has built a strategy as if it was an SAP upgrade (locking of users/jobs/printings/.. AND test of all their functionalities after the upgrade before unlocking every thing).

It's the first time I'm asked to follow such a strategy for un Oracle Upgrade, and for me, it is not necessary at all.

Could someone give me a link where SAP could mention whatever about this topic ?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

Gérard

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

0 Kudos

Hi,

There is no such a document.

As soon as an Oracle version gets released by SAP, their functionality were checked. I am Oracle and SAP. If customer has soem own developed functions/programs, etc. they need to test them on their own.

Regards,

János

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It may vary from customer to customer.

We perform the database upgrades on non-prod systems first and we maintain at least 15 days of stabilization period between Q and P system, so that issues specific to performance etc. can be fixed (if any!).

Database upgrade doesn't need any business process testing but it need minimum functionality checks and the performance test (Optional).

Regards,

Nick Loy

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello

If there is some application level testing required then that would be mentioned in the Oracle upgrade guide from SAP.

I would execute the DB related transactions after the upgrade and see if they are getting completed successfully without any issues.

As long as all the prerequisites for the upgrade have been performed then the upgrade should go well and the system should behave the same way after the upgrade.

Regards

RB

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello

Indeed these tests does seem a bit excessive and are not commonly done.

If you have already upgrade other systems in the landscape they could have been performed on the QA system for instance.

The major issue with Oracle upgrade could be performance problems, that are not that rare when migrating from 10 to 11.

Apart performance issues I've never seen an Oracle upgrade having impact on the functional behavior of SAP.

Regards

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gerard,

There is no SAP note which mentions to test business functionality post Oracle upgrade.

But it is good to perform basic testing of basis transaction and activities like backup, job scheduling.

Incase there remote DB links configured on oracle database, then this functionality should be tested.

From my experience, I have seen a customer who has developed some custom program which execute native sql commands based on certain oracle release.

So post oracle upgrade this functionality was required to be re-developed to match with new oracle release.

So check out with your business users whether any such functionality exists which may get impacted with oracle upgrade. Include those into your testing scope.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori