cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number of DIA work processes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

How do we decide the maximum number of DIA work processes (or total number of work processes including others like BGD, SPO, etc) that our server/hardware will support?

Secondly, we found that in the instance profile for one app server, parameter value for number of DIA is set as 30. However, in the SM50 for that instance, we only found 25 DIA work processes (no changes were made after system start in RZ03/RZ04). Any inputs?

Regards,

NK

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Try to follow scn link WPs Calculation | SCN

Regards,

Gaurav

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

Please consider rule for setting work processes in an instance as One dialog work process can support upto 10 dialog user.So under instance parameter consider the value of DIAG work process after proper calculation of SAP user licenses ( No of users ) in your landscape environment.

Using max no of dialog wp's will not give you desired performance as it depends on no. of dialog users.So setting high number will be waste if users are low for dialog steps.

Hope this will help you.

Thanks,

Gaurav 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Gaurav and I agree with you. We have shortage of DIA work processes as all gets occupied frequently and hence thought of increasing DIA work process and for that only I asked this question.

Regards,

NK

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Also share details for your hardware as 1 GB of system RAM can support upto 4 numbers of dialog work process.

Regards,

Gaurav

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nithin

What is the version of OS /DB ?

Regards

Sriram

Former Member
0 Kudos

AIX/Oracle

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin

Thanks for you info

Could you refer the SAP Note with all your query will be answered

39412 - How many work processes should be configured?

BR

SS

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Have you tried what I suggested ?

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Note 39412 is indeed meaningful but it still does not give clarity on how to calculate how many DIA or total number of work processes will be supported by the server hardware/configuration.

We got few replies in this forum suggesting 4 work process per 1 GB RAM and also read somewhere that upto 10 work processes per CPU configured....we are looking for such recommendation in our case as we know how many extra DIA work processes we need in our environment but before making any changes we need to be assured that server have that capacity to support based on some standard calculations if any.

Regards,

NK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

For your second query, I would suggest you to go to t code RZ10, From menu bar select utilities,

then import profile of active servers.

Then recheck your work processes...

Regards,

Chetan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Already done but still SM50 shows 25 DIA work processes.

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

Have you completely activated the profile after changing the no. of DIAG work process & restarted the application instance.

Also try to check instance profile at OS level & amend accordingly.

Thanks,

Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gaurav,

Please find the below details in order to avoid any confusion:

1) Changed value of rdisp/wp_no_dia to 30 at OS level for app server in question

2) Performed sappfpar check for the instance profile in question and updated the value to pool 10 and pool 40 as advised

3) As safe approach, did clean restart of system

4) Imported of active profile in RZ10 and it was showing the updated value 30 ...which is correct

5) If I go to RZ04 or SM50 for the instance in question then DIA work process count is coming as 25.....any idea why?

More importantly as of now, I have more priority for increasing the value of DIA. But on what factors it depends as in hardware capacity wise NOT userbase wise?

Regards,

NK

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

Could you share the screenshot/results for SM50 by choosing List ---> Configuration -->execute.

Thanks,

Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gaurav,

The screenshot that you are asking is not available as system's patch level is old. But I'm telling you this count 25 from SM50 only.

Regards,

NK

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Could you send the screenshot for SM50 only showing 25 wp's .

Thanks,

Gaurav

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Instead of modifying the profile parameters from the OS level modify the parameters from Tx RZ10.

Call Tx RZ10 and modify the  profile parameter rdisp/wp_no_dia to 30 (even if the value is 30).

Save it and activate it. Restart the SAP system and now check whether you see 30 in Tx SM50

Good Luck

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

here you have the similar thread. I think you can find the answer for number of processes there -

Kind regards

Syamkriz
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Secondly, we found that in the instance profile for one app server, parameter value for number of DIA is set as 30. However, in the SM50 for that instance, we only found 25 DIA work processes (no changes were made after system start in RZ03/RZ04). Any inputs?

what is the value of rdisp/wp_no_dia in RZ10 or RZ11?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Regards,

NK

Syamkriz
Active Participant
0 Kudos

When the instance is started, as many work processes as the sum of the following parameters are started:

rdisp/wp_no_dia

rdisp/wp_no_vb

rdisp/wp_no_vb2

rdisp/wp_no_enq

rdisp/wp_no_bt

rdisp/wp_no_spo

rdisp/wp_no_restricted

The sum of the parameters must be smaller or equal to the value of parameter rdisp/wp_max_no

From <http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwpi71/helpdata/en/46/c24a5fb8db0e5be10000000a1553f7/frameset.htm>

Please let me know if your sum> rdsip/wp_max_no ?