cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP on Windows 2008 R2 Standard to Enterprise Edition

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

We are using SAP NetWeaver System running on Windows 2008 R2 Standard Edition (VM Ware).

We are planning to extend RAM size of this server up to 50GB.

Is there any possibilites for an Inplace Upgrade from Standard to Enterprise Edition?

Thank you!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Actually, it is possible.  I haven't done it myself, but there is a tool, DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool), that supposedly supports in-place edition upgrades, i.e. exactly what you're describing.  It's talked about in Microsoft Technet at Upgrading Windows Server 2008 R2 without media - Server Core - Site Home - TechNet Blogs.  It's about the same thing as a "Windows Anytime Upgrade" that you see available in Windows 7 or 8, so no reinstall is necessary.

If I recall correctly this wasn't possible in earlier versions of Windows Server, and that's probably what Reagan is remembering.

Let us know how it goes!

Best regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Many thanks!

Does this approach (DISM) will be supported from SAP Support?

Do some changes/impacts (license, SAP processes) can occur after this in-place upgrade?

Thank you!

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alex

Could you refer the SAP Note

1697906 - Windows Upgrade from Standard Edition to Enterprise Edition

Regards

Sriram

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There won't be any change from an SAP licensing perspective, but of course your Microsoft licensing will be impacted.  As for configuring work processes, indirectly, yes.  Being on Enterprise Edition vs Standard Edition doesn't, in itself, make any difference to performance of the system.  What will make a difference is the addition of the extra RAM, and with that you may find, if you have the spare CPU cycles, that you can add additional work processes and/or otherwise adjust tuning (increase PHYS_MEMSIZE, for instance, if you have specified this parameter directly).

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

As far as I know you will have to do a system copy.

May be or can suggest better options.

Regards

RB