cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Options to create BIAR file in Business objects 4.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

What are the options to create .biar file in 4.1. Business objects used to have Import Wizard in 3.1, now its being eliminated. Any alternatives now?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

the part that you have to understand is that BIAR files are no longer used in BI4.x for the same purpose as you used them in Xi3.1.

In BI4.x BIAR files can only be generated by UMT tool and can only be imported into next version of the product.

Basically, BIARs are now for moving content from old version to new version (migrations) only.

For moving content between same version of the product (in this case all Bi4.x versions are considered same) - a new tool is used, its called promotion management.
With this tool you can generate LCMBIAR files.
It has command line interface as well.

So, XI3.1 BIAR equal to BI4.x LCMBIAR now.

You'll have to change your process to support LCMBIAR now.

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, XI3.1 BIAR are not equal of BI 4 LCMBIAR, because LCMBIAR don't let you do incremental, it's why i use BIAR.

From UMT, you just have to add this option (in target of UMT(Upgrade Mangament Tool) shortcut) to open a BIAR file from same server :

-internal_use_only_noversioncheck

And you can use UMT to for moving content,

All is fine like this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mickael, your solution was perfect. I personally like using the UMT and this allows it so I can go from 4.1 Briar to 4.1. Live and vice versa. Thanks!

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

no_version_check switch and usage of UMT for moving content between 4.x systems is not supported by SAP, so when you will run into issues (and it's when, not if) there will be no SAP support for it.

So, yes - technically you can, but you shouldn't.

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can create a .BIAR file on BI 4.1, i do it all the time, using .bat and .properties files.

.bat file :

%DRIVELETTER%

cd "%BOPATH%\win32_x86\jre\bin"

java -jar "%BOPATH%\java\lib\biarengine.jar" "%BACKUPPATH%\Sauvegardes.properties"

.properties file for juste save public file and dependencies (for exemple) :

exportBiarLocation=%BACKUPPATH%/Sauvegardes.biar

action=exportXML

userName=Administrator

password=XXXXXXXXXXXX

CMS=localhost:6400

authentication=secEnterprise

exportDependencies=true

exportQuery=select * from ci_infoobjects where SI_ancestor = 23

exportQueriesTotal=1

But you can used other query, and more than 1.

Hope it help you.

regards

Mickaël

Former Member
0 Kudos

First step---

create a new job in promotion management and then select the source (your CMS server)

and destination as outout to lcmbiar file ..

Second Step---

click next.it will direct you to your directory..choose

the file or report or dashboard you want to output as lcmbiar file and themn click add and close.

Third Step ---

after the selection select the desired file and click on promote tab.and then click on Export button to

export your selected input into desired lcmbiar format.

Regards

Deepti Aggarwal

Former Member
0 Kudos

In SAP BO 4.1 we have promotion management tool for deployment purpose.If you have .LCMBIAR file use promotion management tool in CMC else use upgrade management tool in case of .BIAR format

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi  Naveed,

First of all, you want to create Biar file from BI4.1 and import it using Import Wizard in XI3.1 which is not correct, because you need to import data from lower version to  a higher version.

Socond, if you have Biar file created in XI3.1 you can import this Biar file easily to BI4.1 using Upgrade Management Tool.

Finally, if you want to import whole data from a platform to an other you can user the copy of CMS database and a copy of your filestore, and import it to the destination machine.

Hope this can helps you.

Best regards,

Saloua.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Saloua,

I have no issues in creating .biar file in 3.1. The question is how to create .biar file in 4.1, in 4.1 i havent seen any option/tool like import wizard to create .biar file. It creates .lcmbiar via Promotion management.

Hope i clarified the question.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Navved,

Now is very clear, we never talk about Biar file in BI4.X, we have only Lcmbiar file created via Promotion management,either from the web page or via command line, it's similar to Biar file created by Import Wizard.

Since there is no Import wizard in BI4.X so they replace it with promotion management and upgrade management tool.

Hope this is clear now.

Best regards,

Saloua.

0 Kudos

Saloua,

"Finally, if you want to import whole data from a platform to an other you can user the copy of CMS database and a copy of your filestore, and import it to the destination machine."

how do you do this? do you mind showing me steps?

Former Member
0 Kudos

with promotion manager we get files with .lcmbiar extension. My deployment process doesnt support .lcmbiar extension. And with promotion manager we need to have the same job available at destination system to be successfully imported.

Former Member
0 Kudos

So is there any option that we can use to create .biar file..?

0 Kudos

Hi Naveed

In BO 4.1 you can also create BIAR file through Upgarde Management Tool.Through this tool you can import and existing  BIAR file in BO Sever.

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Naveed,

You now need to log into the CMS and use Promotion Manager which used to be called Life Cycle Manager (LCM) to a .lcmbiar file.

Import Wizard is GONE !!

Regards,

Ajay

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Naveed,

I moved this to BI Platform space for faster response