cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about upgrade Path for AFARIA 7 SP1 to SP3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I need to perform an upgrade of an Afaria server (Version 7 SP1 HotFix 7 & 17 applied), to SP3 with relevant hot fixes in order to solved an enrollment issue with Apple devices. I was looking for documentation on METS page, and says that I can upgrade to SP3 from SP1, but now I'm seeing some documentation about the upgrade (bug fixes) of Relay Server, but this fix applies to Afaria 7 SP2. My question is: How is the path for upgrading AFARIA Server on the versión commented? I mean, Do I have to upgrade first to SP2 and then upgrade the relay with the patch documented on METS, apply the hotfixes etc., and only after can I upgrade from SP2 to SP3, and so on? or If my Relay server Works fine, can I upgrade as the documentation mentioned from SP1 to SP3?. I'm a bit confused about this...

Please Help, i'll wait for your kind answer...

Best Regards,

MC

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

nick_mackerness
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mariana

I agree with Peter, unless there are exceptional circumstances, the recommendation would be to upgrade to the the latest Service Pack release, i.e. SP4.

The supported upgrade path would be:

• Afaria 7.0 Service Pack 1 Hot Fix 17 (Current)
  • Afaria 7.0 Service Pack 2
  • Afaria 7.0 Service Pack 4
  • Afaria 7.0 Service Pack 4 Hot Fix 3 (Recommended)

You would then also have the Relay Server 16.0.0.1324 release.  There shouldn't be any compatability issues between Relay Server and Afaria 7.0, as long as the Relay Server and Outbound Enabler are running the same version.

Regards

Nick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nick & Peter,

Thank you for your answer. Now I have another question: Do I have to upgrade the relay server when I upgrade afaria to SP2? and again when I upgrade afaria to SP4?? or Do I have to upgrade the relay just when I get to the afaria 7 to SP4 level? For example:

The supported upgrade path would be (scenario 1):

• Afaria 7.0 Service Pack 2 (upgrade also the relay to the versión reléase for SP2)
  • Afaria 7.0 Service Pack 4 (upgrade to the versión reléase for SP4 RS 16.0.0.1324)

The supported upgrade path would be (scenario 2):

• Afaria 7.0 Service Pack 2
  • Afaria 7.0 Service Pack 4 (upgrade to the versión reléase for SP4 RS 16.0.0.1324)

Also I would like to know, If this relay server is shared with a SMP Server (production), there would be any known issue with the RSOE running on the mobile platform???

I'll wait for your kind answer...

Best Regards,

MC

nick_mackerness
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mariana

I guess you are currently running Relay Server 12.X.  It should not be a problem to wait until you complete the upgrade to Afaria 7.0 Service Pack 4 and then update the Relay Server and Outbound Enablers to Relay Server 16.

I don't see any known issues with using Relay Server 16 for SAP Mobile Platform or Afaria.  You should try to ensure you are running the same versions for both Relay Server and any connecting Outbound Enablers.

Regards

Nick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

I have a question, what do you mean with "You should try to ensure you are running the same versions for both Relay Server and any connecting Outbound Enablers", I understand if you have a upgraded versión of Afaria (which i guess this new versión has upgraded versión of RSOEs as well), you have to have same level on the Relay, but how can I ensure this with my SMP/SUP? is this means that I have to upgrade the RS only to the versión supported for my SMP?.

I have checked out the documentation for my SAP Mobile Platform Versión installed (which is: Sybase Unwired Platform 2.1.3 PL01), and the supported relay server is: RS 12.0.1.x. So I guess, if I upgrade to the RS versión you told me on a previous post (RS 16.x), maybe it does not work well... But the Afaria 7 SP3 has a RS of 12.0.1.3840, which according the doc is supported. So is this means that maybe I have to upgrade to SP3 instead SP4 in order the Relay Works fine for the two solutions???

I will wait for your kind answer...

Best Regards,

MC

nick_mackerness
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mariana

Specific versions of Relay Server are tested with releases of Afaria or SUP, which are then considered 'supported'.  You may not find the same exact version of Relay Server that has been tested for both products.  In reality, it should not matter.  SAP cannot test every combination and there are very few compatibility problems with Afaria/SUP and different Relay Server versions.

The fact that Afaria 7.0 SP3 'ships' with Relay Server 12.0.1.3840 should not influence your decision about upgrading to SP4.  This was just the latest version that had been tested at the time of the SP3 release.

If you upgrade to Afaria 7.0 SP4, you could still use Relay Server and RSOE 12.0.1.3840 if you wished.  This way it would be 'supported' by Afaria and your SUP instance (both list 12.0.1.x in the System Requirements)

Equally, I know of no problems with running Relay Server 16 with either Afaria 7.0 SP4 or SUP 2.1.3 PL01.  Personally, I would go with using the latest version of Relay Server available.

On a separate topic, I would also consider planning an upgrade to SUP 2.3 which has Relay Server 16 anyway.

Regards

Nick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

Another question, for the upgrade of Afaria 7, Do you have any documentation or How to Guide which explain this procedure? Besides the normal found on METS page.... any wiki, guided how-to, etc...

I have a documentation of Installation guide which has a section for upgrade, but I don't know if is that simple the procedure as the document explain: Stop services, upgrade components through wizards, start services?  or Do I have to re-install all the solution?

I'll wait for your kind answer...

Best Regards,

MC

nick_mackerness
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mariana

The basic premise is as you have read in the Install guide.  There is no need to re-install the whole solution, just run the setup for each component for that upgrade release. 

You should check your system still meets the requirements for the new release in the System Requirements. 

Any particular caveats, known issues or additional steps required for upgrading should be documented in the accompanying Release Notes.

Regards

Nick

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Relay Server 16 is part of SP4. Why don't you upgrade to RS16 and SP4 ?