Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice for transportation of Derived and parent roles

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Good day to all.. I have a query regarding role transports involving Parent and derived roles.

1. I know that when we transport Derived (Child) roles, the Parent role gets included in the Transport. This I understand is the SAP standard process.

Would it be possible to provide more information related to the SAP standard process regarding this.. A link to refer would definitely help..

2. Due to the inclusion of the master(parent roles) we end up getting a lot of Transport collisions. We have approximately 100-150 Child roles per master role. As a result, though, while there might be no actual changes on the Master role, and maybe only an Org level update on the child roles for different locations, we still have to look at a lot of transport collisions, due to changes for different locations.

My question is : If we remove the Parent/Master role from the transport, would it cause any issues. Would it also affect the Inheritance in any way or cause any authorization issues later on..

Please advise..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Prakash

transport collision for pfcg roles occur when a different role in the system you are moving the transport to has the same profile code

check table agr_prof or agr_1016 for role to profile mapping

parent role will not cause the conflict (unless it's profile is already assigned to another role). Suggesting to modify SAP standard for transports sounds like a bad idea! Parent role is transported for consistency as derived role gets it's menu from the parent as well as date/time statuses determine role authorisation status

Regards

Colleen

9 REPLIES 9

Former Member
0 Kudos

Maybe you can explain what is meant by collision?   I'm thinking that if you have not changed the parent role (adding Tcodes to menu, changing auth values, etc), then it should not matter if it is included in several transports. 

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Prakash

transport collision for pfcg roles occur when a different role in the system you are moving the transport to has the same profile code

check table agr_prof or agr_1016 for role to profile mapping

parent role will not cause the conflict (unless it's profile is already assigned to another role). Suggesting to modify SAP standard for transports sounds like a bad idea! Parent role is transported for consistency as derived role gets it's menu from the parent as well as date/time statuses determine role authorisation status

Regards

Colleen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Colleen and Kesayamol,

Thanks for your feedback on my query. (And my apologies for the delay in responding..)
I agree, that the Parent role should always be transported for the consistency.

The problem we are facing is that every time there are changes  to the Child role and parent role as well, it invariably results in Collision and then we have to sit and discuss which transport moves ahead depending on the criticality of the change..

Will you be able to advise on how to counter this issue..

Warm Regards,

Prakash

0 Kudos

HHi Prakash

so you mean when you release a transport you already have another in progress that contains the roles?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think there are only two possibilities.

1. create a sequenced list of CTS, and old changes move first before newer changes.  This involves coordination with each change owner.

2. reverse changes that are not ready for production, then create new CTS for the changes that are ready for production after the unready changes have been reversed.  That is really difficult to coordinate.

When multiple change requests affect the same roles our teams always try to go with the first option.  For example if a new change arrives and it's "urgent" we tell the requester that urgent or not, they have to wait until changes on the role are finished, and they should discuss their urgency with the other change owners, tell them to hurry up with their tests and finalize.  Then we import all CTS old and new, in sequence.

"collisions" are always difficult to coordinate, there is no shortcut.

Oh!  and I suggest you update CTS descriptions and PFCG role descriptions with ticket numbers, so that you can more easily identify change owners and details.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Colleen,

Yes, Hopefully the below scenarios might explain the situation..

1.  There might be 3 consultants working on the derived roles for 3 different regions (derived from the same parent role). So when they move ahead to Q and then to P, we are getting a collision as the transports have the same Parent role..
2. The other scenario - Changes have been done to the Derived roles in one transport and the other transport might have only the changes done to the Parent role.

Is there any way to determine whether the collision is genuine (due to Master Role changes) or not a genuine collision due to changes to the Child roles..

Please advise..

Regards,

Prakash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kesayamol,

Thanks.. We already have this in practice for Transport and Role description.
The two scenarios discussed by you is something that we have discussed as well, but being a varied geography, it becomes difficult to prioritize and each region have the same urgency when it comes to the role changes..

Thanks..

Prakash

0 Kudos

From a transport perspective they are all collisions as they contain the same object

your solution is one that involves communication, process and change control. Those three consultants need to work as one group and streamline their changes. This may include release cycles (e.g. Weekly) for transports to be created and released through to prod. It will also result in less transports

Please do not edit transport contents

0 Kudos

geographically dispersed can be a challenge. I've worked on sites that had regional dev systems to overcome this

if new org values are being created - typically main reason derived role is updated, planning could improve coordination effort. Functional team should advise as soon as they are configuring new values. This would reduce some of last minute efforts. Does your Company have a change and release team to clearly define process?