cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material versus Product

Former Member
0 Kudos

What are the main differences and use cases of SAP-Product over material in ECC ? I cannot find a clear articulation in the SAP help. Any guidance much appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Guys,

I am specifically referring to the product that is configured in cross application components in ECC 6 rather than in logistics ( see Below)

ulf_petzel
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Hans,

that is what I was referring to, too. SAP Product is used in the other Suite applications primarily, it was introduced with those "New Dimension" products (APO, CRM, SRM), when SAP extended its footprint from being a pure ERP company to a Business Suite of solutions.

It is only relevant for select few industries and scenarios in SAP ERP.

Regards, Ulf.

jogeswararao_kavala
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hans,

Both are line items in the same Material Master table MARA. The difference starts from what is the type of Material is it? Like ERSA materials (spare parts) you procure to be used as input to your production. Raw material will be another type. Likewise your production Material will have another material type. And the Material Master views differ depending on this.

Jogeswara Rao K

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm not sure there is a difference.  Generically a product is typically something you sell.  But in SAP that is just another material number.  Typically materials of material type FERT and HALBS are considered as materials that can be sold.

Can you provide some more information as to where and how the term "product" is used in SAP that is causing the confusion?  Maybe you are seeing this term used in one of the particular solutions that SAP provides?  Retail? A&D? etc...

Craig

ulf_petzel
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Material Master is the way to go for pretty much all of the industries SAP is serving. Product is only used very rarely. From an SAP Business Suite perspective, the Material Master is serving also the Product data model in the other Suite solutions like SCM, CRM, SRM through the master data provisioning technologies available.

Which industry does your company belong to?

Regards, Ulf.