cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP JVM Switch Tool with SAPJVM 6.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a Java system in SAP Netweaver 7.01 with JDK 1.4.2.

I have to refresh this system with an Upgraded system (SAP Netweaver 7.40) using restore/Homogeneous system copy.

I think I have to switch my JKD to SAP JVM 6.1 (for compatibility with SAP NW 7.40) before lauching my Homogeneous system copy.

Is it possible to use SAP JVM SWITCH TOOL 1.0 to switch from JDK 1.4.2 to SAP JVM 6.1?

Regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

but it is still possible to refresh Java system with export/import ?

What kind of files? SAP Kernel?

Regards

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

but it is still possible to refresh Java system with export/import ?

Yes.

What kind of files? SAP Kernel?

In addition to the database content the Java systems have application related files stored at the OS level (/usr/sap/SID/JCxx/j2ee)

If the system is just an ABAP stack with no J2EE then the data will be in the database.

There is also a possibility that there can be some files used by the ECC system stored at the OS level (Not kernel files)

You can check with the application team whether they are storing any content at the OS level. If not then you are OK.

There is nothing much the community can advise you for this activity. All the possible options and the best practices have been suggested.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

for an ABAP system, with Windows SQL Server, System copy guide indicates that homogeneous system copy is done using backup/restore + SWPM system copy/target system:homogeneous system copy. No export is needed.

Export is only mandatory for Java system copy.

We have a D-Q-P landscape.

Our strategy is to create new landscape (D1 - Q1) using Production system copy.

Then we will upgrade D1 and then Q1 with SUM.

All developpements from D EhP4 will be send to D1 EhP7.

Production system will be upgraded with SUM.

And normaly, we will refreh (restore/homogeneous system copy) D and Q with Production backup.

Regards

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

No what is the blocking point if you want to restore build D and Q systems with the P copy ?

It seems to be clear for Java environnement because of use of an export + backup. So, SWPM, will install SAPJVM6 and SAP kernel 7.41 itself.

Java systems based on newer Netweaver releases do not need export and import method which was required for systems based on older versions.

But, it seems to be more difficult for SAP ECC environnement because you don't have any export. We will only have a backup.

ECC systems hold data in the database unless you have some files stored at the OS level in a specific disk or file system.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

sorry but I don't have choice.

Production environnement will be Upgraded as you decribed.

But others environnement will not be upgraded with MOPZ and SUM pocedure.

We will use refresh stategy to upgrade :

1/ (Windows failover Cluster/SQL Server) SAP ECC6 EhP4 NW 7.01 to SAP ECC6 EhP7 NW7.40

2/ (Windows /SQL Server) SAP NW 7.01 Java to SAP NW 7.40 Java

So I try to understand how to do.

It seems to be clear for Java environnement because of use of an export + backup. So, SWPM, will install SAPJVM6 and SAP kernel 7.41 itself.

But, it seems to be more difficult for SAP ECC environnement because you don't have any export. We will only have a backup.

Regards

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is NOT a recommended approach by any means.

Production environnement will be Upgraded as you decribed.

But others environnement will not be upgraded with MOPZ and SUM pocedure.

We will use refresh stategy to upgrade :

Upgrading the Production system without upgrading the rest of the landscape first will cause multiple issues. To mention a few,

- Developments and version management will be lost

- You will be facing innumerable post upgrade issues in a Live environment

- Potential of a very long downtime, loss of data, etc...

Whoever suggested this approach is not right.

Unless this is a recovery scenario and the only thing you have is a backup!...

In a standard scenario, you should either establish a development freeze or a parallel landscape and proceed to upgrade the development and QAS systems, having done that you will have the right amount of time to do a full system test, discover and address issues before proceeding to upgrade your production systems

Regards, Juan

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Have you got a higher version of OS and DB for the target version?

Upgrades are basically done on a sandbox system and validated before the upgrade is performed on D-T-P systems.

Refreshing the development environment with the copy of the production system is not a recommended practice. if you are going to upgrade the development system with the copy of a the production system (upgraded system) then you will lose all the version information.

Doing an upgrade on the test system will let you identify the issues that can be faced during an upgrade and this can help you to minimize the time to upgrade the production system.

Regards

RB

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

1. For any upgrade / Migration first starts with Development system or Dev test environment(Private environment)  after that QAS & PRD. Because all the changes can be do only in Dev it can be transported to other system with change request

2. .

1/ (Windows failover Cluster/SQL Server) SAP ECC6 EhP4 NW 7.01 to SAP ECC6 EhP7 NW7.40 

2/ (Windows /SQL Server) SAP NW 7.01 Java to SAP NW 7.40 Java

So I try to understand how to do.

You can upgrade the system from SAP NW 7.01 to 7.4 by using the SUM Tool (Standalone or Windows Failover Cluster) but not for system Migration (System copy) from NW 7.01 to 7.4

But, it seems to be more difficult for SAP ECC environment because you don't have any export. We will only have a backup.

By using SWPM or SAPINST you have to perform the source system export,

Refer the SAP System copy guide

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

I have to do the same action with my SAP ECC system.

I have to refresh a SAP ECC6 EhP4/NW 7.01 with a SAP ECC6 EhP7/NW 7.40 using restore/homogeneous system copy on a Failover Cluster Windows (HA).

But for an abap, I don't start from an export of my source system but only a SQL Backup.

So, I will only make the restore and then launch SWPM/ABAP/SYSTEM COPY/TARGET/DATABASE INSTANCE to do the homogeneous system copy. I will not launch any refresh of ASCS, Central Instance.....

So, SAPJVM and SAP Kernal will not be installed by SWPM.

How to proceed?

Regards

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Let me be clear, you cannot do a system copy of a new release on top on an old release for a number of reason.

You should do a fresh install using an export of your source system been either Abap or Java.

Regards

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

SAP Netweaver 7.01 with JDK 1.4.2.

1. Switch the JAVA JDK 1.4.2 to SAP JVM 4.1 as mention in the SAP Note

1665953 - SAP JVM Switch Tool Composite Note

2. Do the Homogeneous system copy with same version SAP NW 7.01 with SAP JVM 4.1

before that read the system copy guide

3. Upgrade the system from Current version to Latest version NW 7.4, Calcuate the all the component form Solution manager MOPZ (Maintenance Optimizer)

Regards

Sriram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

may be using SWPM system copy to import my NW 7.40, it will install itself SAP JVM 6.1 and SAP Kernel 7.41?

Regards

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A fresh install will install SAPJVM 6.1 and the kernel.

Regards, Juan

Nicolas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Yes, SWPM installs "itself" SAP JVM 6.1 and SAP Kernel 7.41.

Regards,

Nicolas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I want to refresh a 7.01 system with an export from a 7.40 system.....

I think I can do it with an homogeneous system copy.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok... I miss read this, its the opposite.... If you want to do a homogeneous system copy you are better off doing it to a clean install as the kernel and many other aspects are different in a 7.40 system... so, basically export the source (7.40) and do and install using the exported data.

You'll save yourself a lot of headaches and time with a fresh install

Regards, Juan

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You cannot refresh a 7.40 system with an export from a 7.01 system.

You'll need to upgrade the source first, or do a homogeneous system copy and then upgrade the target system.

You need to research your approach before going any further.

Regards, Juan