cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agentry Detail Screen: Field Height not working

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am using Agentry 6.1.4.179 on Android. I have a detail screen that displays an object. For the Android Normal platform, this screen is configured as an 'overlay view'. There are 11 fields, arranged in 10 rows. All fields have a height of 1 except for the last one which is set to 'Auto'. The screen's row count is set to 12, but any value greater or equal to 10 seems to behave the same in this case. See the following screen shot for further explaination:

However, on the device, the Text in the Field is cut off horizontally and the field height is not adjusted. Note: The screen looks the same even if the field height is set to some fix value like 4. So the selected field height seems not to be respected at all.

Apparently this seems to be a bug in the Agentry client for Android. Are you aware of any working workaround?

Regards,

Christoph

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think I can explain the problem now. If the text in that field is a bit longer, the height of the field is chosen correctly, see next screenshot. So the correct calculation of the field height depends on the string length.

However, if I remove my custom style information (which just increases font size) from that field, the shorter text fits into one single row and thus is not cut. See next screenshot.

The longer text also works in the defaut style version and fills two rows there, as well:

So here is my thesis: The client does not consider the style information of a field when it calculates the heigth which is needed to display the information. If the content of the field does not fit in that height with a different style information applied, it is cut.

What do you think? Ist this a known issue?

Regards,

Christoph

jason_latko
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Christoph,

There is a limit to overlay screen height, probably 10 on a phone.  The String property you are displaying "Bem" must have the "Word Wrap" check-box attribute set to True at the object property level in order for the multi-row setting of "3" to be respected on screen.  Otherwise the field will not grow as you are seeing.  This applies to all platforms.

Jason Latko - Senior Product Developer at SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

word wrap is enabled for that field. See my post below for an updated thesis on what is going wrong.

Regards,

Christoph

jason_latko
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Christoph,

This does sound like an old bug that was corrected in the current client versions which are SMP compatible 7.0+ versions.  I know there was a problem with using the "Label on Top" feature and the field not growing as it should.  Any chance you could upgrade?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

I retested this issue with the latest SMP 3.0 build (Agentry Client 7.0.2.247) and it is still present.See screenshot below:

Do you have any idea other than reporting this as a bug and waiting for a fix?

Regards,

Christoph

jason_latko
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Christoph,

This could be a problem with trying to use an overlay screen.  Try changing the overlay to a normal screen and see if the problem is still there.  Overlay screens cannot grow in height dynamically the way regular screens can beyond a certain point.  We don't use overlays in any of the Agentry products on phones.  Also, do you have an iOS device you could try this on to see if the results are any different?

Former Member
0 Kudos

When I try this on a full screen it obviously works since the height of a single row is much larger on a full screen and the text always fits into one row (even with two lines of text). Unfortunately, my setup does not allow longer text snippets for testing here since the database column is restricted to 50 characters.

We use overlay screens a lot in our applications. Some of them have much more content and they scroll very well. I tried this application on an iPhone as well but overlay views seem to work differently on this platform. An overlay screen on iPhone covers the whole screen and does not even have a built-in option to close the screen. So I think we cannot compare these clients in this aspect.

The overlay screens we use mostly consist of only one or two fields. But in some othe constellations like the one described above, the auto height setting is not working correctly.

Regards,

Christoph

jason_latko
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Christoph,

On the normal screen, as a test:  Add an update rule to the Bem field that overrides the regular data.  Put in a large amount of text that will always cover 2+ lines to see if there is any difference between the overlay and the normal screen with repect to your style being applied.

So you normally have overlay screens that scroll vertically with a finger swipe to display more fields?  Since I haven't used those on a phone, I don't know the behavior.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

thanks for your hints. I did some further resarch and it seems that the style information is not causing troubles. It is the space that is reserved for the field label that is not taken into account correctly.

Here is what I tested an what I conclude from that:

As you suggested I added this rule as an update rule on my field:

So the last character in the field is supposed to be an "O".

Then I tried different field setups. I varied these parameters:

1. Overlay or full screen
  2. Default style or custom style
  3. Label width

These are my results:

Overlay screen / Custom style / Label width 9Overlay/Default/9Full/Default/9Overlay/Custom/autoOverlay/Default/autoOverlay/Default/1Overlay/Custom/1Full/Custom/1

As you can see, only the last three tests with label width set to 1 were successful. I conclude that the label width is not taken into account when the height of the field is calculated.

Regards,

Christoph

jason_latko
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Christoph,

You should open a bug report ticket with your findings so this gets fixed.  As a work-around for you, I would suggest setting the "Label Postion" property of your detail screens to "Top".  This will put the field label above the data, and allow for more data to be displayed horizontally.  Since you don't need to define a lebel width when on top, it should work for you.  We have gone this route in all the products for the phone platforms.