Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

find threshold level of receiving and processing messages in PO

ajeyagv
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello all SAP PI Experts,

A few days ago, our PI system crashed as a result of receiving too many messages. So, they had to do stop PI to perform some correction operations and now everything is working fine. Luckily this problem was detected in Quality system before they could transport everything to Production system.

My team is now asking me to check the threshold limit of our PI system so that they can make sure that they never send messages more than the threshold limit again. Could anyone please suggest how to check this ?

Our system is based on PI 7.4 single stack.

Thanks,

Ajeya G V

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ajeya,

in principle, PI should be able to handle any number of messages. It would put them into queues and work on them as the system power permits. If the system crashed, you need to analyze what exactly was the cause for the crash. Some possibilities:

- Was it too many synchronous messages leading to connection timeouts etc.?

- Was the hardware at its limits, i.e. out of disk space, out of memory?

- Was it an application problem, inefficient coding, for example many RFC calls to the backend, costly loops in mappings?

There could be many more. If you know the reason, check whether the same problem applies in production and fix it.

There is no way to give you an absolute threshold value, you will only be able to extrapolate past values and performance and give a good guess. The best way to do this is having a properly sized QA system (close to P) and run performance tests.

Regards,

Jörg

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

this is a very difficult question to answer but let me put my thoughts here on what you could take care of;

1. Sizing - The PI server needs to be sized accordingly. This is important as many a time QA systems are sized to the minimum so we need to be careful of not pushing the system to its limits.

2. Tuning - This is an aspect most missed in many implementations. Details; http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/70c8bdb7-6fe0-2e10-5b86-a33fdb53f...