Upgrading from Oracle 9.2.0.6 to Oracle 10.2

former_member192334
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello

We are starting upgrade from SAP R/3 4.6C on platform Solaris/ Oracle

9.2.0.6 to SAP ECC 6.0 .

First of all, we have to upgrade database Oracle from 9.2.0.6 to Oracle

10.2. We are using Guide "Guide_UX_ORA_UPGRADE_210.pdf".

Following this guide, we can do an upgrade directly, but... In chapter

3.5 Checking SAP system Prerequisites, in point 3, we have seen is

necessary update oracle client software. Note 886783 is referenced.

Reading this note, we have seen that is necessary update Database

server to 9.2.0.7.

So..

... that means is not possible to do an upgrade from 9.2.0.6 to 10.2 in

one only step???

Thanks and regards

Javier

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (13)

Answers (13)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Javier,

Can u please forward me the steps which are involved in the upgrade of oracle 9.2.7 to oracle 10g.Please mail me to suman400@gmail.com

Thanks in advance

Suman.

former_member192334
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello

No, you only should apply point 5.

No links.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Javier,

I used the Note 964783 - Updating Oracle client on host with multiple SAP systems, and start SAP instance which should be upgraded into Oracle 10g, everything is OK.

And the other SAP instance is working fine.

Thanks for your help!

Many regards,

Ruzica

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Javier,

I'm on the Updating BR*Tools step after the Oracle 10g upgrade.

Can you pls tell me about the update of sapdba_role, what did you do?

1. sqlplus /nolog @sapdba_role SAPR3

or like I always used for 9i environment

1. sqlplus /nolog @sapdba_role <SID> UNIX

Thanks in advance,

Many regards,

Ruzica

former_member192334
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello

I think the first one.

Regards

Javier

former_member192334
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ruzica

I will answer to your questions.

Mi first step was updating oracle client to Oracle 9.2.0.7, and everything works fine.But I just checked basic operations: starting sap, login on , basic transactions Sm21, sm50... and so on.

I followed note 886783. Certanly, this phrase you mentioned (Point 6. d.), is a little bit confused, but I you see the last point (Point 6. f) you can read that in case of upgrading to Oracle 10 you can do it using point 5. And I did so.

But my case is a little different of yours. It seems you have two sap systems, and You would like to update the Oracle 9.2 client only for one of these SAP systems.

So you should use note 964783.

Have I clarified your question?

Regards

Javier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Javier,

Yes, you have clarified my question. In case of my production (one instance on one server) I need to follow <b>note 886783</b>

But, I have something else to ask.

I will do the following:

a. mv /oracle/client/92x_64 /oracle/client/92x_64_ORIG

b. mkdir /oracle/client/92x_64

c. cd /oracle/client/92x_64

d. SAPCAR -xvf /tmp/OCL929064.SAR

Pont 6.------- :

a. Confirm that /oracle/client/92x_64/lib is a link to /oracle/TST/920_64/lib

b. Confirm that /oracle/client/92x_64/jdbc is a link to /oracle/TST/920_64/jdbc

c. Confirm that /oracle/client/92x_64/ocommon is a link to /oracle/TST/920_64/ocommon

Did you create again this links?

These links are in the /oracle/client/92x_64_ORIG when I will move them.

Many Regards,

Ruzica

former_member192334
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ruzica

As this OSS note say... you have two possibilities:

- Apply Support Packages..

- Apply attached transport

We choose second option: apply transport ORAREL4XX.SAR (is more quickly and simply)

Regards

Javier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Javier!

I'll also choose the second option.

Can you please tell me about the Oracle 9.2.0.7 client?

Did you test the DB and SAP application after upgrade the oracle client to 9.2.0.7?

I have test server, HP-UX 11.11 with two different test SAP (4.6C and Oracle 9.2.0.5) instances which are homogenous system copies from two different production systems. I need to perform Oracle 10g upgrade only on one of these SAP DB.

I'm not sure about the Note which should I follow:

<b>Note 964783</b> - Updating Oracle client on host with multiple SAP systems

or

<b>Note 886783</b> - Installing Oracle 9207 Client Software on UNIX

If there is no problem with the client 9207 for Oracle server 9.2.0.5 (SAP 4.6C and kernel 46D_EXT) to work fine I will follow the note 886783. But there is something confusing in it: Point 6. d. <u>Ensure that the database server is updated to patchset 9.2.0.7</u>

Which note did you follow?

Thanks in advance,

Many regards,

Ruzica

former_member192334
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello guys!

Just inform you about the results.

I have done following steps:

1) Update Oracle client to 9.2.0.7 . Everthing OK

2) Install Oracle Instant Client 10 (because is necessary for BRTools) . Everything OK.

3) Upgrade Oracle Server from 9.2.0.6 to Oracle 10.2.0 2. Everything OK.

So , until now, I have SAP 4.6C , kernel 4.6D_EXT, Oracle Database 10.2.0.2, and Oracle client 9.2.0.7 and Oracle Instant Client 10 , too.

I have to say the guide is correct, and I didn't have any problem. Maybe the concepts in this guide are not well-clarified (for example: "you can upgrade database software while SAP is still running..." , but the thing is that is not an upgrade of sw, but is a new installation of Oracle 10, in another ORACLE_HOME...etc.etc..)

But OK, Everyting fine.

Thanks to everybody for your help.

Monday: Upgrade of SAP

Thanks and regards

Javier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Javier,

I'm preparing our test system for the Oracle Upgrade to 10.2.0.2

We are using SAP R/3 4.6C, kernel 4.6D_EXT, Oracle 9.2.0.5., HP-UX 11.23

SAPKA46C46, SAPKH46C46, SAPKB46C46, SAPKE46C19.

Can you please tell me do you had to apply some SAP support packages before the oracle upgrade?

I found in the note 868681, that SAPKB46C48 supp. pack should be used or import of the attached transport from the note.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Ruzica

former_member192334
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello guys

One question more. I'm in the step 4.1.1 Checking and setting the Environment Variables of the guide.

And I found some topics not clear:

1) Here, it say say that I can install database sw with SAP and Oracle running... (!?)

2) Then I must to change certains environment variables of user ora<sid> , as.. NLS_LANG : " set this to the output of the script CHECKS.SQL which you can find .....

.. .. /oracle/stage/102_64/database/SAP"

But.. what does it means? Should I execute this scripts to see the result?

3) ORA_NLS10 must be $ORACLE_HOME/nls/data ... (but this directory is empty yet..)

Thanks and regards

Javier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Javier,

1) You can begin the upgrade with everything running, so you can reduce the downtime. If you don't worry about this, you don't need to have Sap up (and you'll get more resources for the DB upgrade).

2) Yes, you must run this script from sqlplus if you're not sure about your DB language setttings.

3) Yes, it's "filled" during the installation (remind your $ORACLE_HOME now will be /oracle/<SID>/102_64).

Best Regards,

JC Llanes.

former_member192334
Participant
0 Kudos

Ok guys, after two beers and after sleep...I have the ideas more clears..

The steps should be:

1) Upgrading oracle client from 9.2.0.6 to 9.2.0.7 , because is recommended by SAP in order to avoid dumps later ( using SAP 4.6C and Oracle 10)

Status: 4.6C, Kernel 4.6D_EXT, Oracle Client 9.2.0.7 , and Oracle Server 9.2.0.6

2) Upgrade Oracle Server from 9.2.0.6 to Oracle 10.2

Status: 4.6C, kernel 4.6D_EXT, Oracle client 9.2.0.7, and Oracle server 10.2.

3) Upgrade SAP from 4.6C to ECC 6.0

Status: SAP ECC 6.0, kernel 7.0, Oracle client 10, and Oracle Server 10

Right???

Thanks

Javier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Javier,

You're right. I think this is the best workaround.

Just one detail: At step 2 (look at the Sap manual "Upgrade to Oracle Database 10g Release 2 (10.2): UNIX" , point 3.10), you must install Oracle Instant Client 10.2.0.2, as per note 819829.

<a href="[url=https://websmp106.sap-ag.de/sapdownload/011000358700003115122006E/GUIDE_UX_ORA_UPGRADE_211.pdf">https://websmp106.sap-ag.de/sapdownload/011000358700003115122006E/GUIDE_UX_ORA_UPGRADE_211.pdf</a>]Oracle Upg Manual 10.2[/url]

Regards,

JC Llanes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not sure what's the difference between the Unix and Windows upgrade.

On the windows upgrade there's the Oracle Client software for 10G which is a few files which you can copy into the exe/run directory for use with appservers.

SAP recommends uninstalling 9.2 clients when you use 10G client.

Rodney

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Windows and Unix are very different regarding the oracle client.

As mentioned before, in UNIX, the oracle client version depends on the kernel version

On Windows, no. The oracle client version depends on the DB version. For that reason you uninstall the 9.2. clients when you upgrade to 10g, but un Unix, coul dbe that the kernel still uses the 9.2

former_member192334
Participant
0 Kudos

Sorry again, I think my brain is already exhausted

If I have to update oracle client to 9.2.7 , following 886783 (Installing oracle 9207 unix) note:

6. For application servers with database instance (DB Server), if the database server is Oracle 9.2 please do the following:

a. Confirm that /oracle/client/92x_64/lib is a link to /oracle/<DBSID>/920_64/lib

b. Confirm that /oracle/client/92x_64/jdbc is a link to

/oracle/<DBSID>/920_64/jdbc

c. Confirm that /oracle/client/92x_64/ocommon is a link to

/oracle/<DBSID>/920_64/ocommon

d. Ensure that the database server is updated to patchset 9.2.0.7

e. Confirm that one-off patch 3396162 is applied to the database server on top of patchset 9207. You can check if this patch has been applied by executing the following command as the ora<dbsid> user:

$ORACLE_HOME/OPatch/opatch lsinventory

f. If at a later stage the database server would be upgraded to Oracle 10.x, you would need to install the Oracle 9.2 client as described in step 5 above.

To Fidel:

A oracle client can't be greater than oracle database, isn't??? So, if I have to update oracle client to 9.2.0.7, I am forced to upgraded database server to Oracle 9.2.0.7, isn't??

To Juan Carlos:

A R3trans -x can be sucessfully but, could be not enough... After uprading ot Oracle 10, did you upgrade SAP ??

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

[...]

> To Fidel:

>

> A oracle client can't be greater than oracle

> database, isn't??? So, if I have to update oracle

> client to 9.2.0.7, I am forced to upgraded database

> server to Oracle 9.2.0.7, isn't??

Hi,

It is recommended that the client should not be greater than the RDBMS. But Oracle clients can "interoperate" with DB of higher versions.

Nevertheless the guide indicate to install it after you have upgraded your DB to 10.2, and in this case the client 9207 is lower than the DB 10.2.0.2

I have no direct experience using 9.2.0.7 with Oracle 9.2.0.x ( x < 7 ) so I cannot comment about it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

<<Nevertheless the guide indicate to install it after you have upgraded your DB to 10.2, and in this case the client 9207 is lower than the DB 10.2.0.2>>

If it is 'after' the database upgrade, ECC 6.0 will be at kernel 700 and will not need or use the client 9207.

So why install it at all?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

After the DB upgrade, SAP still is not upgraded.

You have two options:

1) Still run with the "old" SAP version --> You are using kernel 46D_EXT --> it will use the client 9i

2) You perform the upgrade of SAP to ECC 6.0. During the upgrade <u>both</u> kernels will be used --> Both clients are needed.

<u><b>After</b></u> the DB upgrade <u><b>and</b></u> SAP upgrade has been done, then you can delete the client 9i.

former_member192334
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello

Gracias Juan Carlos

But... if you tell me that the first step was upgrade oracle client 9.2.0.6 to 9.2.0.8...

... this oracle client can connect to Database Oracle 9.2.0.6???

Thanks

Saludos

Javier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, no problem. I tested it with a R3trans -d, and everything ok.

Regards,

JC Llanes.

former_member192334
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Fidel

Sorry ,but I don't have nothing clear..

My initial doubt, after read documentation and guides, was if is necessary upgrading in 2 steps database oracle : 9.2.0.6 --> 9.2.0.7 --> 10.2.

Now, I have another one, related to oracle client...

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Javier,

Regarding the Database, you can upgrade directly from 9.2.06 to 10.2, no problemo

what is the question about oracle client?

I've just seen the reply from William Fee :

<quote>

> Just a thought...

>

> If he is upgrading to SAP ECC 6.0, doesn't this use kernel 700 and kernel 700 only

> uses Oracle 10.2.0.2.

>

>Therefore he doesn't need the 9i client only the new 10g client????

<quote>

The upgrade uses tools from the old kernel ( 46D ) and new kernel ( 700 ) for that reason it is recomended to install the new client.

After the upgrade, to ECC 6.0, it can be removed, as you said, ECC 6.0 uses kernel 700 and this one needs the oracle instant client.

former_member192334
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello again

First of all, thanks for your answers., but... we have doubts.

Let see... Kernel is 4.6D_EXT.

Current situation:

SAP R/3 4.6C

Kernel 4.6D_EXT

Solaris 2.9

Oracle Database 9.2.0.6

Oracle Client 9.2.0.6

Target situation:

SAP ECC 6.0

Kernel 7.0

Solaris 2.9

Oracle Database 10.2

To do upgrade SAP, first I have to upgrade Oracle Database 9.2.0.6 to Oracle 10.2.

So, in that temporal moment, I will have : 4.6C , kernel 4.6D_EXT, Oracle client 9.2.0.6 and ORacle database 10.2.

After that, I will upgrade from 4.6C (kernel 4.6D_EXT) to ECC 60 (kernel 7.0)

My question is: why is necessary upgrade oracle client 9.2.0.6 to 9.2.0.7 during that temporal moment?

Thanks and regards

Javier

Former Member
0 Kudos

<<My question is: why is necessary upgrade oracle client 9.2.0.6 to 9.2.0.7 during that temporal moment?>>

I believe you do not have to go to client 9207, unless you are using kernel 640 or have another 9i instance on the box.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Javier,

Yes, it is recommended to do so.

During the upgrade you will run tools ( tp & R3trans ) from both kernels ( 700 and 46D )

The client installation takes few minutes, only uncompress some files.

Keep in mind that you will have to install also the oracle instant client ( 10g ) that is needed by the kernel 700

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Javier,

I recently upgraded Oracle 9.2.0.6 to 10.2.0.2, and following the Sap guide as first step I updated the <b>oracle client</b> to the latest version (9.2.0.8). I found no problems doing this, and the upgrade was perfect. The reason is that kernels =<640 can't connect to oracle client 10.x, and you are updating DB first, and your Sap will be still 46D_ext.

The <b>oracle server </b>is not needed to be migrated as a intermediate state to 9.2.0.7. It can upgrade directly to 10g.

Saludos!

JC Llanes.

Message was edited by:

Juan Carlos Llanes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Javier,

Let me (try to) explain, there are two different things involved here:

1) Oracle RDBMS

2) Oracle Client

In SAP ( on <b><u>UNIX </u></b>) they are two totally different things

The version of the oracle client you have to use depends on the SAP Kernel version that you are using, not on the RDBMS version.

Currently you have 4.6C and 9.2.0.6. But I do not know which kernel are you using:

1) 46D_EXT -> if you are using this kernel then you are using oracle client 9i

2) 46D ("normal" one)-> if you are using this kernel then you are using oracle client 8i

After you upgrade the RDBMS from 9.2.0.6 to 10.2, the kernel <b>must </b>be 46D_EXT. As mentioned before, this kernel needs the oracle client 9i ( it does not matter that you have upgraded the RDBMS to 10g, the kernel still uses the same client )

This client must be ( at least ) 9.2.0.7.

It can be downloaded from Marketplace and it is independent of the RDBMS version.

So, the upgrade process could be the following:

1) install 10.2.0.2 and all recommended patches

2) Stop SAP

3) Upgrade DB

4) install new kernel 4.6D_EXT ( if needed )

5) install oracle client 9.2.0.7 ( or 9.2.0.8 )

Review environment variables ( I think it is on the upgrade guide, but just in case )

Review Oracle parameters

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just a thought...

If he is upgrading to SAP ECC 6.0, doesn't this use kernel 700 and kernel 700 only uses Oracle 10.2.0.2.

Therefore he doesn't need the 9i client only the new 10g client????

Former Member
0 Kudos

follow the point 2.1 Checking the Original Version of Your Database

You need to check the original version of the database you want to upgrade.

Caution

This SAP upgrade documentation only covers the standard upgrade from Oracle 9.2.0.4 or later to

Oracle Database 10g Release 2 (10.2) using the Oracle Database Upgrade Assistant (DBUA).

If you are upgrading from Oracle 8.1.7 or an earlier release, read the Oracle Database 10g Release 2

(10.2) upgrade documentation for information on the special steps required. Although Oracle

supports direct upgrades from Oracle 8.1.7 to Oracle 10.2.0, SAP recommends customers running

Oracle 8.1.7 to first upgrade to Oracle 9.2.0 and then to Oracle 10.2.0.

Cheers,

-Sunil

former_member192334
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello

As I said before, we have Oracle 9.2.0.6

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

We were on Oracle 9.2.0.6 and went directly to Oracle 10.2.0.2 without upgrading the client to 9207. Or upgrading the server to Oracle 9.2.0.7

If this is the only instance on the box (no other 9i instance), I believe you do not need the Oracle 9 client. Just install the new Oracle 10 client.

Our major problem with the Guide (which I really do not think SAP tested) was that it mainly describes the upgrade from Oracle 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.2

First, you must patch the system from 9.2.0.6 to 10.2.0.1 (which was not in the Guide)

Then, upgrade from 10.2.0.2

I hope this helps.