cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Services / Proxies

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I've been searching the SDN and Internet for documentation on this topic and found a lot of it. I am writing because despite all the information, it is still not clear for me the difference between Web Services and Proxies. I Read that Service Providers and Service Consumers are part of the Enterprise Services, but so are the Proxies.

I also know you have Outbound and Inbound proxies. From the PI Team I get the DDIC structures I need to fill in to transfer data from ECC to PI.

What I need to do in this case is read a ECC Table, MARA for Example, and send the data to PI. In this case this would be an Outbound Interface. Should I go for Proxies? Web Services? If WSDL Files are involved (PI Team gave me a WSDL file + a URL), Is this a Web Service or a Proxy or both?

I get really confused when to use one or another.

If someone could just give me some light on this I'd be really grateful.

Thanks and Regards,

Ernesto

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Proxy is nothing but one of the ways to enable message communication between SAP (along with IDOC/RFC)and PI, and it’s generally preferred over others because it’s better in terms of performance and u have lot of flexibility in terms of handling data.

>> In this case this would be an Outbound Interface. Should I go for Proxies? Web Services?

It’s better to go with Proxy

>> If WSDL Files are involved (PI Team gave me a WSDL file + a URL), Is this a Web Service or a Proxy or both?

I am not sure what ur PI team exactly wants becoz it’s a clear case where u could use Proxy, but technically u can consume PI WSDL file and send the data to PI endpoint URL – But I don’t see any value add in this way of communication.

So I would suggest you to cross check from ur PI team and ask which mechanism they are looking to send data from ECC to PI.

Thanks

Amit Srivastava

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Amit,

So Proxy, as IDOC or RFC, are totally independant from Web Services right?

I've just been said that the project interfaces should be done under Web Services...so In this case, would be a service consumer? I need to create it in SE80 under Enterprise Services, Service Consumer?

Thanks & Regards,

Ernesto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amit, apart from the other questions, can I create a Web Service out of a Program? Or it has to be RFC?

Thanks

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What I need to do in this case is read a ECC Table, MARA for Example, and send the data to PI. In this case this would be an Outbound Interface. Should I go for Proxies? Web Services? If WSDL Files are involved (PI Team gave me a WSDL file + a URL), Is this a Web Service or a Proxy or both

>>> It's not possible to connect to web service using proxy(XI) adapter and using proxies we can bypass adapter engine..

However If you are having PI version >7.11 then you can use soap adapter for your scenario as it has got "XI 3.0 protocol" to communicate using proxies..

The reason is - you can have Integrated configuration for your scenario which bypasses the Integration engine and hence a better performance.

but from ECC perspectiv, it doesn't matter as you define the outbound proxy in both the cases i.e. whether you use soap channel/XI channel.

And you don't need a wsdl from the PI team.. once they define the strctures in repository you should see them in sproxy(necessary configuration should be in place) and you define RFC destination to connect to PI.

GO through the below blogs for a better understanding -

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/70066f78-7794-2c10-2e8c-cb967cef4...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Hareesh,

I created a program where I populate the structure given. In SE80 Under Enterprise Services I created, using the wizard, the Service Consumer with the WSDL file that the PI Team gave me. I run the program and Data is coming out from ECC. Now, this is a Web Service or Proxy?

looking now at the links.

Thanks & Regards,

Ernesto

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It is a web service.. as you are using the wsdl file and sending the data to endpoint URL..