cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The future of WebDynpro Applications?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus;

I just wondering, with the introduction of SAPUI5, what should we expect from WebDynpro's ?

I know Web Dynpro are used in SRM and CRM, but additionaly, what modules make use of this technology?

Also, as far as I know, the User Interface Add On 1.0 for SRM 7.0  is not build in WebDynpro's , so it seems that this technology  is soon to be obsolete.

¿What are your thoughts? Makes sense to get certified in WDA at this point?  on what SAP modules are WDA using, aside of SRM and CRM?

Thank you for the comments.

Best regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Cristian,

Please check out these articles to know more about SAP UX strategy.

https://uxexplorer.hana.ondemand.com/_item.html?id=18#!/facet/112

https://experience.sap.com/pdf_designservices/SAP_UX_Strategy_and_Design_Services.pdf

I personally think that WD ABAP/FPM will still be used in a long run as currently, among all SAP UI technologies, it has the deepest integration with backend + web-based.

Hope it helps. Cheers!

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Today I noticed this in the SAP UX Explorer 1.4 FAQ. Sums it up nicely.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello experts;

I really appreciate your comments. I was about to give up on WDA but after reading your comments,   blogs and articles provided is clear to me that WDA won't go anywhere anytime soon. This is great since I will like to get more involved with  ABAP WDA/FPM devolpment rather than in HTML5/JavaScript development of SAPUI5 (though not completely ignoring it).

I will leave the post open for some time  so more experts can share their comments.

Best regards to both of you.

Cristian R.

abdul_hakim
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Cristian - Webdynpro for ABAP is here to stay. The use case of Webdynpro for ABAP and SAPUI5 are completely different.

Please check the below link which will clarify your question.

http://scn.sap.com/community/ui-technology/blog/2013/12/24/sap-s-key-ui-technologies-how-to-make-a-c...

Thanks

Hakim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Abdul Hakim wrote:

Hi Cristian - Webdynpro for ABAP is here to stay. The use case of Webdynpro for ABAP and SAPUI5 are completely different.

I think that's incorrect. SAP wouldn't spend time converting existing WDAs to UI5 if that was the case. First ITS applications were converted to WDJ, then to WDA and now they are being converted to UI5. Example of applications that are being converted: ESS and MSS. The downside of such technology driven evolution is that SAP never converts all the applications meaning customers lose functionality if they want to benefit from the newest technology.

abdul_hakim
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Samuli - I dont think SAP is completely moving away from WDA to UI5. As per SAP UX strategy guidelines WDA / FPM is still the key UI technology that the customer can still use it..As i mentioned earlier the usecases for WDA /UI5  are completely different and the latter cannot replace the former atleast at this point in time.

Thanks

Hakim

ramakrishnappa
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Cristian,

Regarding future of WD... I think I don't have correct answer at this time.

I feel, WD is still the boss in it's own area

Any way, please go through the below blogs, it might through little light related to your question.

WD is also being used in SAP HCM for ESS & MSS.

Regards,

Rama