cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to pivot dataset in SAP HANA

rey_atun
Discoverer

Hi there,

I have a scenario (as shown below) in SAP HANA wherein I need to pivot a column table without using an ETL product like SAP Data Service.

Do you have any idea or suggestion on how to do this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

brenden_kennedy
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Rey,

Understanding that you have a fixed maximum of 3 columns/value with any additional values to be ignored, you could use the following SQL syntax.

In terms of performance this should be suitable for small data sets. If you expect a high percentage of rows exceeding the 3 values (ie ROW_NUM > 3) you could also add a having clause to limit the ROW_NUM to 3 to reduce the inner data set and optimise performance.

I believe we cannot use "MAX" in the graphical modelling (I cannot find a way!) so I am looking at how to code this in CE functions however I am challenged to have the row_number function (Window Function) in a CE function. Does anybody know if (and have an example) we can use a Window Function within a CE function? I find limited documentation on the Window Functions implementation.

SQL sytanx

SELECT "OBJ_NO",

MAX(CASE WHEN ROW_NUM=1 THEN "VALUE" ELSE NULL END) AS VALUE_1,

MAX(CASE WHEN ROW_NUM=2 THEN "VALUE" ELSE NULL END) AS VALUE_2,

MAX(CASE WHEN ROW_NUM=3 THEN "VALUE" ELSE NULL END) AS VALUE_3

FROM (

SELECT "OBJ_NO", "VALUE", row_number () over (partition by "OBJ_NO") as ROW_NUM

FROM SOURCETABLE

ORDER BY "OBJ_NO" )

GROUP BY "OBJ_NO";

Cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Window functions are not available in any graphical models. Also, and related - window functions (currently) execute in the row store, not the column store - so performance may suffer depending on data volume.

- I'd encourage you to read the link provided . You essentially are flattening out a parent-child hierarchy. This can be accomplished on-the-fly if modeled correctly (parent-child hierarchy in Attribute or Calculation View) with good performance. You'll need a front-end tool that can query via MDX like AAO.

Otherwise you'll have to flatten manually via an ETL-type process. Sounds like that's not an option for you though.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

What if we want to have a dynamic number of rows unlike 3 as specified in your code ?

can you please check on this.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member182302
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Rey,

Have a look on the below documents, Which explains the different approaches which can be used:

Regards,

Krishna Tangudu

rey_atun
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

Thanks for the links above.

However, the requirement is the other way around - more columns (or fields) rather than rows (or records).

Regards,

-Rey

former_member182302
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rey,

Have a look on the discussions in this thread:

Regardsm

Krishna Tangudu