cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restart Messages

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I'm new to PI and want to know why we should not restart messages(in SXMB_MONI) in Production server ?

If we are allowed to restart messages, what kind of messages can be restarted?

Thank You

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Adding few more..

Restart is not possible for synchronous messages from PI.It should be started from sender application.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna

Suppose there was a bug in PI configuration and as a result of that 1000 messages failed.

So after correcting the bug, if we restart the failed messages , then all the messages will be processed from PI.

But if the messages failed for data issue, then restart will not help and we need to cancel those messages and resend the corrected data.

Some times the connectivity goes down, say JCO error ,HTTP error, in that case also we can restart the message so that they can be processed.

In my all the projects we have restart the messages in production, because it saves a lot of time if the messages are huge in number.

Note:  We can only restart the asynchronous messages, synchronous messages needs to be resent and they can not be restarted.

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna -

why we should not restart messages(in SXMB_MONI) in Production server ?

>>>This depends on the type of error/ the approach a company follows..

If it is data quality - i.e. have some special char/ invalid data etc then reprocessing may not help as they would fail again.

If it is connectivity issues - JCo failure.. temp cache issues.. mapping failures due to to a developer's mistake then we would reprocess them. (of course you can cancel and get them republished from sender too)

-------

If we are allowed to restart messages, what kind of messages can be restarted?

>>>> Answered above. You should be able restart all the messages which has the status "System Error - Manual restart Possible"