cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between SMDT & SMIN

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can anyone please explain to me the difference between SMDT and SMIN transaction types. Both look to have the exact screen though SMDT is said to be for Test case error.

I see that SMIN could be copied to ZMIN, YMIN, XMIN and used for Test case error and service desk, so why has SAP still delivered a unique SMDT for test case error? There should be something more with it.

Can anyone please let me know if they have traied to integrate the stwb_work with SMIN and SMDT and found any difference between the two?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

vervinckt_joyca
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ranjith,

I understood it like this:

When you have your test package open, with the list of assigned test cases, you have two buttons to create a message.

One is in the header bar: "report damaged test case". This is also what Prakhar's link explains. This is to indicate that you believe there is something wrong with the test case itself (typo in a document, mistake in an automatic script, wrong system data, etc). For this we would use SMDT. SMDT tickets will also appear in the workcenter "damaged test case worklist" and SMIN's won't.

Another one is "create error message" in the menu bar of the assigned test cases, or on the test case itself on the bottom right in the "messages" area. This is to indicate that your test failed functionally. For example, you should have been able to create a Sales Order, but you didn't get the expected outcome. For this, according to me, an SMIN is better.

This SAP Help page also seems to support that:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm71_sp10/helpdata/en/51/deab516c972166e10000000a441470/content.htm

However, in a standard installation, the customizing has "SMOR" for "test workbench application error" and not SMIN, despite what is mentioned in the link. SMOR is more for system monitoring so on my system I changed that to SMIN.

Kind regards,

Joyca

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ranjith

SMDT is the new transaction type for Test Case Error available in solman 7.1 having defect management process

where as

SMIN is for incident management process

earlier we only have slfn in 7.1 which is used for test management defect part and service desk part as well

hope this helps

Regards

Prakhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prakhar,

I know this what i am saying is SMDT and SMIN has the exact same screens. Have you used both for test case error itself and found any difference. At the moment I always use SMIN customized as ZMIN, YMIN or XMIN and use it for Test case error.

What is the difference if SMDT is used? I will test when I have some free time, but if already tested someone could update us

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ranjith,

they have exact same screens because it is all based upon the CRM Web UI so even you use charm u will be navigated to same screen of crm web ui.

Technically there are many things which will work in the same way but it doesn't mean it is design for that purpose..kindly check below link for documentation

Creating Damaged Test Case Support Messages - SAP Solution Manager - SAP Library

Technically you can create any custom transaction type and define that as per your criteria of status or action profile .....this is in the heart of CRM and you can do this from years ...but point is to understand why SAP has delivered different transaction type.....it is much like different document types like in ERP having different process designs.

Further, in terms of non technical difference it is from the Process or functional perspective

In simple words, SAP customers will know have the flexibility to have a different process for defect management and incident management.

hope the will help to understand better

Regards

Prakhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prakhar,

so in my understanding: If I find a bug during the testing period of my project, I would open a SMDT-Ticket with in the test case and fix it using my defect management workflow.

And if I find a bug in my productive system I would open a SMIN-Ticket and use the incident-management workflow?!

BR,

Binu

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Binu,

SMDT is to be used if you see the test case prepared is not sufficient or can't be used or wrong for testing

SMIN is to be used if the Testing is failed(due to defect)

the entire testing for business processes have to be done in Quality of ERP( or relevant) system...

Thanks

Prakhar