cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to identify/differentiate Global and Local attribute/Data

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I want to know "How to <b>identify</b> Global and local attribute/data"? And what should be the <b>criteria</b> to identify Global and Local attribute/data? while <b>designing</b> my repository.

Say there are 3 different systems(SAP and Non SAP) and I want to design my repository. Let me know the answers of above questions.

Regards,

Ron

Message was edited by:

Ron

Message was edited by:

Ron

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Another differentiator is the frequency of changes to the data elements.

Typically, the global data elements do not change frequently when compared to the system specific data elements.

This should be applien in conjunction with the above stated guidelines.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks all of you for sharing your thoughts,

Further to this my concern is: when I am designing repository How it is possible to know which field is to consider and which one is not important.

For example : I am designing scema of a repository. Input systems are 3 different ERPs. I have to manually check all 3 different systems to finalize my repository design? It may possible that business logic may change in future...

Please give your thoughts on this to clear my doubts.

Regards,

Ron

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Actually the concept of understanding which master data field/attributes are global or local is very much related to the processes that you want to implement with MDM in a given corporate environment. Usually global data is related to the information that interest all systems involved in the MDM landscape. While local data is only relevant for processing transactions within a particular system. The identification of global or local data will therefore give you important hints on how your data model for MDM should look like.

For example in most MDM scenarios you would expect that only the global data would be relevant for your data model. Nevertheless that is not a general rule: depending on the processes that you would like to implement, the maintenance of “local fields” in MDM could give you a nice instrument for building composite applications that could coordinate processes that run over different systems.

Regards, jc

Former Member
0 Kudos
  • Master data which is common to all the three systems can be treated as Global data

• Master data which is not currently in the 3 systems, but you want to maintain from now on can be treated as Global Data

*Images, PDF, Spec sheets, etc can be treated as Global data. Once source for all the blob objects, pdf, spec sheets etc..

*Data required for Publishing Catalogs like Price, etc can be treated as Global Data. This way Publisher can publish the print catalogs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ron,

I have some documentation, could you let me know your email address ?

Regards,

Marco

Former Member
0 Kudos

Marco

Can you pls forward me the documentation as well. My email id is arvind_shenoy@infosys.com

Thanks

Arvind

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marco,

Please send that documents on rpgajjar@yahoo.co.in

Thanks in advance,

Ron