Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Upgrade

anvardheen_jabarullah
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

Currently We are having Solution Manager 7.0 system. Please let me know dircctly can goto Solman 7.1 SP10 directly from My currect system?

If its not possible, Guide me how to SolMan 7.1 SP10 without starting new Installation?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dheen,

According to the PAM, yes, you can upgrade directly from Solution Manager 7.0 to Solution Manager 7.1.  Just check that your operating system and database version are supported for SolMan 7.1 before you start (http://service.sap.com/pam).

As Madasamy says, the upgrade guide will walk you through all the steps, and it will also list all the most important Notes to consider before you start your project.  You can find the upgrade guide at http://service.sap.com/instguides -> SAP Components -> SAP Solution Manager -> Release 7.1 -> 5 Upgrade -> Upgrade Guide SAP Solution Manager 7.1 SR1.  Also be sure to follow the link below that one for Update of SAP Systems Using Software Update Manager -> Update of SAP Systems Using Software Update Manager (ABAP + Java Systems) and then select for your operating system and database.  You will use both of these guides in tandem.

If you don't yet have a DEV Solution Manager system, then I recommend you start by creating one as a copy of your productive Solution Manager, and then perform the upgrade in that system first, same as you would for your other landscape systems.

As for the question of upgrade vs fresh install, that's beyond the scope of this thread, and is not a simple answer that can be given without considering much more about your scenario.  While much has changed about LMDB vs SMSY, etc, in SolMan 7.1, and a fresh install can seem very tempting, that will not be an option for you if you currently use other functions in SolMan such as Incident Management, etc.  It also may not be an option if your SLD is integrated with Solution Manager and needs to remain available for productive usage of Portal applications like ESS/MSS.

The upgrade does work, but there will doubtless be some cleanup of the system landscape data afterwards.  The System Preparation and Basic Configuration workcenter tools inside Solution Manager (after you upgrade), as well as the Managed System Configuration tool, will help you with this.

Good luck!

Best regards,

Matt

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

mstitsel
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Dheen,

A fresh installation with the new version is less time consuming if you only use the Solution Manager for technical monitoring, reporting, mopz.

But if you use the Solution  Manager for other functions like storing documentation, Charm and servicedesk, the initial installation will take a lot of time and an upgrade is faster.

But technically an upgrade to 7.1 sp10 directly is possible.

Best regards,

Marco Stitselaar

anvardheen_jabarullah
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks all..

If I go to download , couldn't able to get SP10 downlaod. Its showing only Sp04. Plz share the Market Place screen if possible where to downlaod

Former Member
0 Kudos

no need to worry about from where you have to download the stack, just create MOPZ (maintenance optimizer) form solution manager. This will download all the required components automatically.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SPS4 is what is included in SR1 of the upgrade/installation files.  SPS10 (or now SPS11) must be downloaded separately, but it can be included in the upgrade.

Sunil is correct, MOpz will set up your download basket with the correct components.  Also, I note that sps11 for SolMan 7.1 is now out, so that is what you will most likely want to go with.

That said, however, you can see the download files by navigating to http://service.sap.com/swdc -> Support Packages and Patches -> Browse our Download Catalog -> SAP Technology Components -> SAP Solution Manager -> SAP Solution Manager 7.1 -> Support Package Stack Download.  Be sure you also look at the Release and Information Note (1953075) for sps11.

Either way, you will need Maintenance Optimizer (MOpz) to approve the files for download.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Dheen,

Better start from fresh installation.

BR,

K.

anvardheen_jabarullah
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Kamil...

means download SolMan 7.1 SP10 and then proceed??

But concern is We had maintained all Satellite system in that Solman. 

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dheen,

Install fresh system and re-configure the following on Solman 7.1

1) LMDB & SLD

2) Managed system configuration for satellite systems

3)  EWA and Maintenance optimizer

4) CCMS alerts if any

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

madasamy_arunachalam
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Dheen

I prefer to upgrade if your solution manager has  version  is 7.0 and or with Ehp 1, so you will not lose your satellite system configuration.

Note that you  have perform solman_setup, if you install new or upgrade Solution Manager.

If you planned to upgrade;

1. Generate stack/xml file via Maintenance optimizer, so all required SPs are covered/downloaded via its xml file. Refer  this OSS note 1577909 for details
  2. Update CR content as per 669669.
  3. Perform all preparation steps as per SAP standard upgrade guide, in fact, I will say, this is one of the best document for upgrade from SAP, which I used for my previous upgrade project.

Before upgrade you may need an  upgrade for kernel,  check for SAP Upgrade Document, it is very handy & also look for few more OSS notes on marketplace.

Best  Regards

Swami

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Dheen,

Please check this document if you decide to upgrade: upgrade http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/b0ed3f8b-ac55-3010-779c-aa6eebf10...

BR,

K.

former_member189797
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

if you are upgrading....check upgrade guides and below notes.

1577909 - Enhancements for SAP Solution Manager 7.1 SR1

1781833 - Add. Info. About Upgrading to SAP Solution Manager 7.1

1693437 - Additional information about Solution Manager 7.1 SR0

1843689 - Solution Manager 7.1 SP Stack 10: recommended corrections