Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended Backup process for Content Server

former_member204618
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have been tasked with sorting out the backups for our SAP Content Server 6.40 running MaxDB 7.6.

I have since discovered that there is no backup of redo logs occurring.

Having read the MaxDB 7.6 documentation about backups, it doesn't seem to suggest a backup strategy although it does give an example SAP Library - Basic Information

However I am considering the following strategy.

1) Full online backup (already happens - I recently got this working properly with Omniback 6.11, by setting DBM_KTO_SUCCESS = 1800)

2) Automatic log backups every 30mins (currently not set to time interval)

3) Archiving log backups every ?

As it stands there is no back up of the redo logs to tape and they are only written to the logs when log segment reaches 3.33GB (1/3) the size of the database is reached.  Which doesn't happen often as we are only storing word documents in the Content Server.

So to minimize a disk failure during the day, I want to override the log backups hence setting it to every 30mins.

Anyone got any suggestions or comments to my thinking here?

Thanks

Craig

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member204618
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for the responses, I found sap note 319332 which has helped.

Cheers

Craig

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

please check the following expert session / recording and Slides) where we discuss the Backup/Recovery issues especially in Content Server environment.

Alll sessions can be found here:
SAP MaxDB: The SAP Database - Training

You will find the slides:

http://maxdb.sap.com/training/expert_sessions/SAP_MaxDB_Content_Server_Housekeeping.pdf

and the recording: http://maxdb.sap.com/training/expert_sessions/SAP_MaxDB_Content_Server_Housekeeping.mp4

hope this answers your questions.

Regards, Christiane

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

From my experience I would suggest the following

1) Full DB backup : online everyday post business hours

2) Log backup : Configure Auto log backup to disk. Then take disk backup to tape once in a day post business hours

3) Suggestion is to configure one offline backup once every month.

4) File system backup after every OS or DB patch.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

former_member204618
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak

Problem with only taking a archive log backup once a day is if the disks fail storing the logs during the day then you have lost the ability to restore changes from that day.

Cheers

Craig

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

Problem with only taking a archive log backup once a day is if the disks fail storing the logs during the day then you have lost the ability to restore changes from that day.

You need to keep disks storing the logs with disks configured on RAID 1+0 ( mirrored disks).

So if one disk fails you still have another disk storing the information and which can be retained.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori