cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMP3 - AppDevelopment (Agentry):

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, I have a question on SMP3 and AppDevelopment (Agentry):

In previous projects we have typically run Agentry Server processes on our development machines so that we can unit test the enhancements that we are making prior to publishing to a more public DEV server.

I'm guessing that this is a pretty standard practice.

My question is: Does this model of having Agentry developers run their own Agentry Servers still hold for SMP3.0 now that Agentry has been incorporated into the main SMP server process.

We are on Ramp-Up for SMP 3 and I'm just about to setup our dev environments. Your comments would be appreciated!

Anyone know of any good articles that cover this topic for SMP 3.0?

Regards

Marty

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

jason_latko
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

In the Product Dev division for Agentry here in out Chicago based offices, all developers set up a development instance of SMP Server 3.0 for individual development and unit testing.  Multiple servers can be set up if working on multiple projects.

Jason Latko - Senior Product Developer at SAP

Jitendra_Kansal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

You would find an option for selecting either developer installation or Production Installation while installing SMP 3.0 server

bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

In terms of environments here is what we commonly see and use.  This actually applies to any Agentry version but yes also applies to SMP 3.0 as well.

Typically each developer will install an SMP 3.0 server as a developer installation on their development machine for their individual configuration activities.  This instance would be setup in Agentry Developer mode (equivalent to ServerDev in previous releases).  This instance would be pointing to your developement backend environment and be used for initial unit testing of their changes.

If you have multiple developers the would either checkin code to the Agentry share or go through a merge process to create a master version (Agentry Production Publish) that would then be promoted forward to the next environment.

The next environment is sometimes an integration test instance running in Agentry Production mode (ServerProd) SMP 3.0 (probably still as a developer installation) where the application is deployed for initial testing still against the development backend environment.

If everything looks good on the integration test instance, next would be deploying to your QA/Acceptance instance pointing to your QA/Acceptance backend environment.  This should mirror production in terms of load balancing / clustering / data volumes etc.  As such for SMP 3.0 it should be configured for a Production installation.  Here is where your test team would execute their acceptance test scripts to confirm everything is ready before moving to the final Production environment.

Hope this helps!

--Bill

former_member186566
Active Participant
0 Kudos

hi Martin,

First thing, Agentry will not come as a separate installation pack in SMP3.0. Its included as one more component in SMP 3.0 - Agentry toolkit.

http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/topic/com.sybase.infocenter.dc01995.0300/doc/html/jwo1371690183287...

Secondly, I guess SMP 3.0 will be released for developer edition and production edition as they did in earlier versions of SMP. But it seems no official documents available so far.

Regards

Yokesvaran Kumarasamy

Jitendra_Kansal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

I am not sure if you have already checked this document

Agentry App Development

Regards,

Jitendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jitendra,

I have had a good look around under that link you sent but didn't really find any information about whether it it common practice to have a SMP Server installed on each developers machine.

Does the concept of a Development Server still exist under SMP3?

Regards

Marty

Jitendra_Kansal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
but didn't really find any information about whether it it common practice to have a SMP Server installed on each developers machine.

In case of SMP 3.0, you can have only one agentry app per SMP server since SMP 3 uses OSGi bundles.

Lets call , for their inputs.

Regards,

Jitendra