Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Adapter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I am new to file adapter FCC, earlier worked on message protocol = file

Questions:

1) I am unable to understand field fixed lengths, can you explain with an example to understand better, how to calculate the  field length numbers, when to use field fixed lenghts and when to use filed separator option

2) When to use key field...is it mandatory to use key field and when not to use

Points will be awarded based on good example

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry for late response

Thank you for your inputs

the last questions I have

1) I have data with comma separated values, if I miss a value Ex order 4, how does this work

Ex : order1, order2, order3, , order5

2) if I have to process half a million records using file adapter I have to use record set per message Ex 5000, this record set of 5000 will be considered as a 1 payload and process it for every 5000 records or the adapter will wait for complete half million records to receive at IE to make it as a single payload and then process it

3) I found record set name field in not mandatory in FCC, then why do I have to use ignore record set set name  = true mandatory

Thank you

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>>> I have data with comma separated values, if I miss a value Ex order 4, how does this work

Nothing. Your field have a blank value. FCC will not fail.

------------

2) if I have to process half a million records using file adapter I have to use record set per message Ex 5000, this record set of 5000 will be considered as a 1 payload and process it for every 5000 records or the adapter will wait for complete half million records to receive at IE to make it as a single payload and then process it

For every 5000 it'll create a new message. It'll not for all half million.

------------

3) I found record set name field in not mandatory in FCC, then why do I have to use ignore record set set name  = true mandatory

>>>> ignore record set set name  = true AFAIK- this is not mandatory. It is an optional parameter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Harresh,

When do I have to use record set while creating data type structures and when to not use it

because I don't see it as mandatory

In some examples, I see some have record set and then the structures and sone does not have record set at all in data type structures

will this depends on PI consultant to decided or functional consultant

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

markangelo_dihiansan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

1) I am unable to understand field fixed lengths, can you explain with an example to understand better, how to calculate the  field length numbers, when to use field fixed lenghts and when to use filed separator option

Fixed field lengths just means that you already know the length of a field that will be placed in a file. This is useful for data validation e.g normal date length is 8 (YYYYMMDD), so if you pass a date longer than 8 it would error out in the conversion. The field length numbers should be given to you by the functional consultant. Separator just means that you will be using delimiters to separate field e.g comma, you use this when the field type does not have a specific length e.g string.

A key field can be any name that will be used to identify a substructure. In the example below, we have H for header, D for Data and F for Footer.

H,1,2

D,3,4,5

F,6

Key field could be ST and could be case-insensitive. Sample would be:

Header.fieldSeparator ,

Header.fieldNames  field1,field2

Header.keyFieldValue H

Header.keyFieldInStructure ignore

Data.fieldSeparator ,

Data.fieldNames field3,field4,field5

Data.keyFieldValue D

Data.keyFieldInStructure ignore

Footer.fieldSeparator ,

Footer.fieldNames field6

Footer.keyFieldValue F

Footer.keyFieldInStructure ignore

When to use it? It depends on the complexity of the file you are converting.

Hope this helps,

Mark

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kishore -

I am unable to understand field fixed lengths, can you explain with an example to understand better, how to calculate the  field length numbers, when to use field fixed lenghts and when to use filed separator option

>>> These are not standard values.. but based on business requirement(interface specific).

>>> when you have different type of information in the input file..(shipping header and details) to differentiate them we use key filed.

i.e. a single shipment can have multiple cartons in it.. but when you have all this information coming from a single file then you would need an identifier to separate them which is nothing but key field..

have a look into it..

Basic File Adapter Content Conversion - Process Integration - SCN Wiki