cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Development and Production SLDs

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have completed Development and testing of XI objects and are at a stage to transport the objects to Production. We have two SLDs for XI, one for Non-productive systems and another for the Prod system. As regards to SLD entries for transport to Production, I though the following is the process

1. Create Production Business systems in DEV-SLD putting them in the right Business group

2. Export DEV-SLD entries

3. Import the file into PROD-SLD

4. After go-live only delta SLD entries would be exported and imported into PROD-SLD

In the following Weblog, /people/sap.india5/blog/2005/11/03/xi-software-logistics-1-sld-preparation, Yuvaraj talked about SLD data supplier bridge from Dev SLD to Production SLD. Is this absolutely necessary? With the bridge operating, what happens if somebody deletes a business system by mistake in Dev SLD?

Any inputs would be appreciated and rewarded

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bhavesh,

<i>My reason for not having prod entries on Dev SLD is that if Prod Entries are going to be on dev SLD, then why have a separate SLD for Prod itself?</i>

My logic for this would be during development, create all the Production Business Systems in DEV-SLD and transport them to PROD-SLD. At runtime system uses Prodcution-SLD. I guess the differernce is design time vs Runtime.

<i>But once again, SAP recommends a single SLD and so when the landscape contains multiple SLD's there are no rules on how to go about this and so either way things will work fine :-)</i>

SAP's recommendations seem to have changed off late. Though in online help they have again and again mentioned that <b>one SLD</b> is recommended, I do know that some internal SAP Consultants recommending separate SLDs for non-productive and productive purposes. There are also documents on Service market place providing information on how to set-up two SLDs for productive and non-productive purposes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bavesh's responses were very useful, but I have decided to stick to my approach. I think it is not a good practise to create the entries directly in Prod SLD, the better approach is to cretae in Dev SLD and transport to PROD SLD.But Thanks Bavesh. you inputs were very useful.

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sangeeta,

><i>I think it is not a good practise to create the entries directly in Prod SLD</i>

My reason for not having prod Entries on Dev SLD is that if Prod Entries are going to be on dev SLD, then why have a separate SLD for Prod itself?

But once again, SAP recommends a single SLD and so when the landscape contains multiple SLD's there are no rules on how to go about this and so either way things will work fine

Nice discussion on SDN after long time though.

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

According to the HowTo SLD and XI document provided by SAP - if you are going to have a multi-SLD landscape then you should specify one of the SLD's to be the MASTER SLD and ALL business system will be configured here (DEV, QA and PRD) - you then migrate this content to the other SLD's.

So for example if you have an SLD for DEV, QA and another SLD for PRD (which I find very common), then the DEV SLD would be the Master SLD and contain all of the DEV, QA and PRD Business Systems.

We were specifically told by SAP that the two-SLD approach was best "in practice" even though it has more adminstration effort required.

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Its been a real long time ( 6 months in XI is a long time ) and I agree with you as well now..

Its also been a long time since I saw such a nice healthy discussion on SDN... Thanks for brining this up.

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

see the below links

technical system in SLD - /people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/03/10/registering-a-new-technical-system-in-sld--abap-based

/people/sugree.phatanapherom/blog/2005/08/14/configuring-sld-in-sneak-preview-sap-netweaver-04-sneak - SLD preview

SLD - http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/6e/fba1c735e0b44496072595092d924c/frameset.htm

SLD thread -

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/30f8bd90-0201-0010-dd9a-c8a7f52c...

Regards

Chilla

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bhavesh,

Thanks for that, very useful.It is pretty clear that the data supplier bridge is not absolutely necessary. I am thinking of doing the following ( one of the receiver systems is ECC for us )

1. Create data bridge to get Production ECC Technical system in DEV-SLD

2. Create ECC Prodution Business system in DEV-SLD and assign it to Prod business group

3. Create data bridge to get Development ECC Technical system in PROD-SLD

4. Create data bridge to get Production ECC Technical system in PROD-SLD

5. Export and import all the SLD entries ( Software componets, Products and Business systems into PROD-SLD)

6. Do the XI transports

Will this approach work ? I am not sure whether the assignment of Technical systems to Business systems done in Developnet SLD would be valid in Production SLD as the these technical system are created through different data bridges.

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sangeeta,

1. I would recommend that you do not create the Production Technical Systems in the Dev SLD. There is no use of having Prod Components in the Dev SLD both technically and Logically.

2. You can have a data supplier bridge set up on the Prod SLD to get the data / technical system details from the prod ECC system .

3. Likewise just have a data supplier bridge set up on Dev SLD to get the data / technical system details from Dev ECC system.

4. Now, manually transport Dev technical system / business system from Dev SLD to the prod SLD. ( you can also set up a Data supplier bridge for this , if you want ).

5. Transport Products and SWCV's.

6. In the Prod SLD, create the transport targets and you are now ready to import your Objects!

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

Great discussion..

Would want to add something myself..

Data Supplier bridge works for those systems that self register themselves in SLD.

Data Supplier bridge setup is not necessary but i believe it must be done.Why?

Suppose you have 10 different systems SAP across your landscape.

Some are Dev, Qa, PRD. Now suppose you/basis want to see which SP your Dev system is in? what do you do ?

Login to Dev SLD and check? right. Cause we wont have the updated information in Prd SLD. Like wise for QA systems.

Now if we have configured DS bridge all this informationw would have been updated in PRD SLD automatically.

Let me know what you guys think ?

Regards,

Sumit

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sangeeta,

1. Data supplier bridge is not absolutely neceassary . It is an optional way of auto updation of data from one SLD to another.

2. You had mentioned that you plan to create the Prod objects on Dev SLD and then move them to Prod. Better thing ( atleast that is the practice I havce seen so far ) would be to move the Dev objects to the prod SLD and then create the Prod Objects manually on the Prod SLD and create the transport targets and import the Integration Directory content into the Prod ID.

3. Irrespective of what option you choose, the list of activities would be,

a) Technical System of Dev and Prod should be available on Prod

b) Business System of Dev and Prod should be available on Prod.

c) Products of dev should also be moved at the SLD level and improted at the Prod SLD.

d) Likewise for Software Components, they should also be moved from Dev SLD to prod SLD.

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Q1: Yes, Data supplier bridge is necessary

Q2: Even if you delete BS in Dev SLD it will not impact on Prod SLD if you used separate naming convention for Dev/Prod and you not started sync of SLD.

Regards,

Gourav

---

<i>Please reward points if it helps you</i>

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

one of the reasons why SAP recommends to have only one -> PRD SLD

Regards,

michal

-

<a href="/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/06/28/xipi-faq-frequently-asked-questions"><b>XI / PI FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions</b></a>