Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request for Inclusive TBOM filters

michaelvk
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

we are starting to use the TBOM and BPCA functionality in this quarter and are collecting experience with it.

One big issue that we have are the TBOM filters. Currently they work only as exclusive filter, meaning you can only exclude objects from the TBOM for the BPCA evaluation.

But we have a strong need for the possibility to define inclusive filters, meaning that only these defined objects in that filter are considered by the BPCA.

The reason for this is, we have some complex own-developed applications, that cover many different usecases and features. It doesn´t make sense to define one big testcase for the whole application because this would just be too much and impractical. Therefore, we want to logically split up such a complex application into smaller usecases/features.

If we record a TBOM for one usecase of such an application, then there will always be more objects in, than intended (not relevant for the tested usecase).

If we would create TBOMs without filter, then the BPCA would potentially find more testcases than actually relevant.

One example would be a transaction, that contains of multiple steps/screens. You want to record a TBOMs for usecases on the third screen. Then of course in every of these TBOMs, all the objects from the processign up to the third screen would also be included. But they are actually not relevant for the intended usecase.

Therefore we would need a possibility to explicitely define the objects, which should be considered by the BPCA. Basically I see two possibilities to achive this:

a) Inclusive TBOM filters (as described above)

b) Modify the TBOMs themselves (possibility to delete objects from a TBOM)

Is there maybe any way to do this, which we don´t know yet? Or if someone from SAP reads this, do you see a possibility to add such a functionality to Solution Manager? It would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Michael von Keitz

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi There!

I just noticed your post just now and I'm having similar challenges with my current BPCA customer which uses the IS- Insurance solution. We also have many developments mainly using the BRM engine for rules.

We also must record many variations of TBOMS for a small number of transactions and get BPCA to differientiate between them. So to take your example, if we have two or three ways to continue on the third screen - we record a separate TBOM for each sub process AND PUT THEM ON SEPARATE NODES !!!!!  This way the Optimizer will differentiate between them and recommend only the best fit, even if the first two screens and all their objects overlap.

BPCA does not optimize between transactions on the same node - only between nodes.

Now, to answer your question, you can use the criticality filter to maintain preferences for the optimizing stage. So for example if two of the three alternatives on the third screen are given a lower criticalty weight - they will be moved to the right side of the optimizing graph - they will have a lower chance of being included in the tests.

I can agree to your suggestion for inclusive TBOM filters but the second suggestion can be very dangerous. If you let SAP customers manipulate the TBOMs themselves, many of them will be innacurate and won't produce good results. Besides, the idea is to record a WHOLE transaction because that is how you test. You can't test ONLY the third screen......

Best Regards,

Oded Dagan