Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching between multiple connection using single IDT universe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Environmnet:

SAP BOBJ 4.0 (going to  be upgraded to 4.1)

Oracle Database

We have 3 oracle database instances created to store 1. real time Production data, 2. Month End data and 3. Year End data. All 3 instances have same table structure with same table names. Currently, we have 3 separate universes (which are identical as well) connecting to these 3 oracle instances using 3 separate connections. If we need to execute a same report against 3 instances, we currently have to create 3 copies of the same report against each of the 3 universes.

Now, the requirement is to have only one universe which can switch between these 3 connections based on user selection (or some other option if there is any!) so that same report can be run against 3 instances DYNAMICALLY. This is to reduce maintanance work where we have to maintain only 1 universe and 1 copy of the report and avoid changing all 3 universe and 3 reports if there is change requested.

So, is there a way we can achieve this?

Any alternate soultions/suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks.

Asad

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rather than trying to allow users to select connection I will suggest to create a  multi source universe with exact same foundation from all the three connection and them setup aggregate awareness and compatibility properly as looks like the sachems  are setup at different granularity level which is a classic use case of aggregate aware...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

This is possible using access restrictions in Universe designer based on user login.

For eg. there is user A,B and C and three connections C1,C2 and C3.

In Manage access restrictions you have to create a three restrictions(R1,R2 and R3): one using C1,second C2 and third C3.

Apply these three restrictions to corresponding to the users. i.e. R1-->A,R2-->B and R3-->C.

So based on user login the instance will be used for same report.

In IDT , I think this can be done using Data Level Security, but the concept wil be same.

Thanks

Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Guarav for responding. I am aware of the functionality you are talking about. However, it is not applicable here because I want single user to have access to all 3 connections. And, user should be able to decide which instance he wants to run the report against.

We are not looking to restrict user access w.r.t. database instances. Rather, we are trying to give user an ability to run a particular report against any of the 3 db instance at his/her will through a single universe.

Is it clear or did I confuse you?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Asad,

Although I have very little experience using IDT/UDT, but shuffling between connections as per the user demand seem not feasible to me.  Because when we create a universe we define the connection manually and I don't think any automated script can change it.

Regards,

Raj