cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many SAP Personas main clients?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We recently installed Personas 2.0 as a main client in our development ERP 6.0 system in client 020.  We also set up a target client (060) on the same system.  We are currently developing flavors in this limited environment.

I am wondering if I should install a second main client on my QA ERP 6.0 system.  This would be used to develop flavors for other QA and production system clients.  In the event of a major upgrade to Personas, I would update the main client on my development ERP 6.0 system first and test new features there before upgrading the main client on my QA ERP 6.0 system.

I am looking for feadback on this approach and woundering how other Personas users have set this up on their landscapes.

dennis

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You have a transport landscape to provide control over system changes. Personas might as well use it.

Flavours can work like any other development, and should follow your usual transport landscape. Develop in DEV and transport to QA for testing, and then to PRD. I can't immediately think of a reason to develop in QA and not DEV. Nor can I think of a reason for creating a client specifically for Personas. Personas developments should be developed and tested in the clients you already have.

All that said, you can configure Personas, via the assigned user roles, to allow flavour development in QA or even PRD if you wish. I'm not aware of anyone that does that.

Steve.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the quick reply Steve.  I did not create a new client specifically for Personas - I only used existing ERP 60 clients.  I understand that flavors developed in a development client can be transported to QA and production clients but I am concerned about having a single main client for Personas.  Would this present problems if we wanted to upgrade Personas while we had Personas projects ongoing?

I am curious to hear of others had this same concern.  Thanks again

dennis

Former Member
0 Kudos

I understand the concern about Personas updates. There are Personas updates and Personas-related kernel patches fairly regularly at the moment. There is always the risk that these changes might break something you are currently developing. In practice that hasn't happened to me often - much more often, patches have fixed problems that have been causing me difficulty. My advice, therefore, would be to always keep your development system as up to date as possible, bearing in mind that the same patches will need to be applied to QA and PRD fairly soon afterwards to keep the landscape consistent.

The one time I don't do this is when a go-live is imminent. Then I prefer a stable development system, and would hold off on Personas and kernel patches until the go-live is over and bedded in.

Steve.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Steve

Did you have to install the Personas Add-On to your QA and Production systems or only in Dev?

dennis

Former Member
0 Kudos

That depends. There are two ways to configure Personas. You can install it separately in each system you intend to use it in and then connect directly to each system, or you can install it once in a single system that acts as a front end and allows you to connect to many backend systems. In the latter case you need to be running a Personas compatible kernel in each system but you only need to install the Personas add-in in the front end system.

As far as I am aware, most people go for the first option and install the Personas add-in separately in each system. That is certainly my arrangement.

Steve.

Answers (0)