cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WM organisation structure related query

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi WM Gurus,

My client want to implement WM module for their warehouse.

However I am having a query related to the WM organisation structure.

My Client is having one physical warehouse location wherein they are having different racks. However, they are using each rack as a separate Warehouse.

They also want the flexibility to switch the stocks in warehouse to and from MRP run.

SAP is suggesting that this can be handled in a single Warehouse with multiple Storage Types.

However, the client is asking for separate warehouses in the same physical location.

I am confused whether I can use several warehouses or multiple storage types in a single warehouse for the requirement.

I also would like to know the pros and cons for each one of the above.

And  how can the stocks in warehouse be given the flexibility to switch to and from MRP run.

Please help me in finding the answers as I am new to WM module.

Thanks & Regards'

Subhasis

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My Client is having one physical warehouse location wherein they are having different racks. However, they are using each rack as a separate Warehouse.

this is the situation in their legacy system, your client does not know SAP, it is you as a consultant who should know what SAP is and what it can do.

you have to ask your client for the reason of managing as separate warehouses, and then you map the requirement to SAP.you do a small test setup and show it to your client to convince him about the SAP solution.

MRP does not look into WM, MRP runs at IM level.

So you would probably need separate storage locations for each rack and plan them individually. But still there is no need to setup several WMs , it is very well possible to manage several storage locations in one WM.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

mihailo_sundic
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would personally go with TWO storage locations under ONE warehouse number.

Warehouse number - e.g. WHN - top level of org.structure in WM

To this warehouse number, I would link two locations:
WMMR - WM subject to MRP
WMNO - WM not subject to MRP

In this way, you can use only one warehouse number (one RF monitor, one activity monitor, a lot of PROS for this!).

Also, you will have possibility to have the stock in the storage bins from both of the locations (MRP and non-MRP) under this single WM structure, so you don't need to do anything else here, you just post it to the appropriate storage location, and you know that it is subject to MRP if you need it, or not.

So definitely this approach is the most logical and simple solution to your requirement.

JuergenPitz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

"However, they are using each rack as a separate Warehouse."

That (I think) is a bad decision. Because separate warehouse means that you also need separate storage locations. The connection is:

Plant + Storage location -> Warehouse number. And the Plant + Storage location combination is unique, that means a plant + storage location combination can only be in ONE warehouse. So that would mean in you case that in order to move material from one rack to another rack you have to post a goods movement from one storage location to another storage location and remove the material from one "warehouse" and bring it into another "warehouse". That is for sure not what you want to do...

"2. The client want to set-up some warehouses as non-net able ( don't consider for MRP)."

Now I am not really an expert for MRP, but it is definetely not on any level in a warehouse. It is on plant or MRP area level, and in the second case you can select which storage locations are to be considered. So you would use separate storage locations if you do not want to consider all stock for MRP, but you would still keep ONE warehouse number (several plant / storage location combinations can use the same warehouse number, that works).

Brgds

Juergen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Related to the Warehouse Structure there is one more thing that I want to know from you people.

Can reservations be created for a warehouse in sap? and if yes then how reservations be activated for a warehouse?

Thanks in advance for your useful answers.

Regards

Subhasis

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Reservations are also only made in IM, since the ATP is checking only IM, WM is for operations. The process usually starts in IM.

We are not working with manual reservations, just the automatic reservations from production orders, PM orders etc..  A manual reservation would hence only support rare cases like taking a small quantity from inventory to a cost center. As this is ini our plant an ad-hoc event and not planned days ahead we do not need manual reservations.

However we built a web solution. People can check the stock (basis is LX02 report) in the Intranet, can then click an item and enter wanted quantity and their cost center. In the background a TR gets created. And while they are walking from the lab or their office to the warehouse, a TO is created and the material is already at the transition point when they arrive. the material is handed over, the TO confirmed and another background job posts the consumption in IM.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juergen,

Thanks for your continued support to my post.

There are couple of points on which I want to have your advice and guidance related to warehouse.

My client is currently using ORACLE system and they are having multiple warehouses under the same physical address.

However we are proposing multiple storage types in SAP for their multiple warehouses in ORACLE.

Each of the warehouses in ORACLE are having the below features.

1. net-table (MRP relevant)

2.Reservable

3.Financial reporting

What I am struggling to find is that can reservations be applied at Storage type level and whether any report at warehouse level wherein the value of the material will also get captured along with the storage type and storage bin.

I am looking forward for your guidance and advice as always.

Moreover, I would also like to know whether we can get in touch with emails directly to your email-id.

Thanks & Regards

Subhasis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jurgen,

Thanks for your continued support to my post.

There are couple of points on which I want to have your advice and guidance related to warehouse.

My client is currently using ORACLE system and they are having multiple warehouses under the same physical address.

However we are proposing multiple storage types in SAP for their multiple warehouses in ORACLE.

Each of the warehouses in ORACLE are having the below features.

1. net-table (MRP relevant)

2.Reservable

3.Financial reporting

What I am struggling to find is that can reservations be applied at Storage type level and whether any report at warehouse level wherein the value of the material will also get captured along with the storage type and storage bin.

I am looking forward for your guidance and advice as always.

Moreover, I would also like to know whether we can get in touch with emails directly to your persona; email-id.

Thanks & Regards

Subhasis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Jurgen is of course correct in that both MRP ans Reservations are not run at WM level, However each of your 'Warehouses' can be seperate Storage LOCATIONS and they can all feed in to the same Warehouse so that they are seperated at IM level for MRP and reservation purposes but can be managed on a day to day basis through one warehouse.

The PO for GR will dictate which St Loc the stock is destined for byt the warehouse will treat it just the same

This means you can have materials side by side belonging to two different st locs and therfore can be managed seperatelyI hope that this helps

Frenchy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

It's the clients requirement that will drive the solution as both are possible in SAP. Can you please provide the following in order to help us better understand the requirement.

• Does the stock in each warehouse belong to the client or are you providing a 3rd party warehouse solution.
  • If the former, please explain why they require a different warehouse for each rack (i.e reporting, business process etc.)
  • If the latter, does the stock in each 'warehouse' belong to different customers.
  • When switching stock 'to and from' MRP, do you mean the total stock within a particular rack or individual materials across multiple racks

Cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the quick response Andy...

Below are the answers for your questions.

1. The entire stock is managed by the client only.

However as the client is considering one rack as a warehouse so they want the same set-up in SAP.

Although the same can be achieved by Storage Areas in SAP,

So, we are little confused how to proceed with.

2. The client want to set-up some warehouses as non-net able ( don't consider for MRP).

Does this can be achieved at Warehouse level and Storage Area level both?

And how it can be done?

Regards

Subhasis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, so just to be clear on the MRP requirement, if a 'warehouse' and all its stock is deemed to be not relevant for MRP, it will always be like that, or does the client want the flexibility to be able to switch it on / off as and when ?

Cheers