Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timeout Error in a Synchronous XI<->SOAP scenario

former_member203665
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have developed a Synchronous ABAP proxy to SOAP web service scenario.

ECC sends an ABAP proxy request to PI, PI forwards the request to the target system as SOAP message.

I have checked the interface via SOAP UI and it works fine but when we run the end-to-end flow it always ends with a Synchronous timeout error.

The Target system confirms that the response is sent from there side but in PI we are not receiving any response and the system throws a  timeout error.

As both PI and the Target system are in same Landscape there is no firewall in between.

Please suggest what can be the possible reasons and the approach to resolve the same?

Thanks in advance,

Shashank

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

markangelo_dihiansan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You have not reported any error code at all, so it would be best if you'll refer to this document

Hope this helps,

Mark

Muniyappan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

when you test the scenario from SOAPUI  what is the response time?

Regards,

Muni.

former_member203665
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

The response is received in real time within a second.

Regards,

Shashank

Muniyappan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

can you please paste your receiver channel error here?

Regards,

Muni.

former_member203665
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

PFB, the error snapshot.

markangelo_dihiansan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you have gone through the document I sent, you'll find that your issue is in section 2.2.7 Messaging System Times out

Potential cause for the error:

The parameter: 'xiadapter.inbound.timeout.default' is an Adapter Engine messaging

system parameter. The value specifies how long the messaging system waits for a response during

synchronous communication. If this time elapses, a "MessageExpired" exception is triggered.

This parameter will apply to all synchronous messages going through the Adapter Engine messaging

system.

Proposed Solution:

Set property of Service "XPI Adapter: XI" within SAP NetWeaver Administrator

xiadapter.inbound.timeout.default

Default: 180000 [ms]

Note

If this parameter value is not increased to > 3 minutes then the messages will

continue to timeout with the message expired exception.

In NWA, Go to->Operation Management->Systems-> Start & Stop -> Java Services -> (Under Related

Tasks) Java System Properties.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Muniyappan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shashank,

I recently came up with similar error. in my case it was issue with firewall. port was not opened.

go to check the receiver communication channel log. i am sure it would give error like 'unable to create socket".

FYI you have shared the error which happened in the RWB testing.

quick check will be log into your pi os level and telnet the target server with corresponding port.

Regards,

Muni.

former_member203665
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

Thanks...

I have gone through the Document, as such there is no load over the system and the message size is also very less.

Via SOAP UI i get the response at real time with in a sec. Also target system confirms that they are sending the response with in a few second.

former_member203665
Participant
0 Kudos

Also as target is in same landscape as PI we are not using any credential to hit the Web URL.

But we have some asynchronous scenario in which when the same target system hits the PI URL they need credentials, so will it be required even for a synchronous scenario where PI posts the data and waits for response in the same session?

former_member203665
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have attached the receiver communication channel snapshot, there is no firewall between the systems as both are in same landscape, also no username-pass is required to send the request.

We tried at the OS level from PI server cmd window to trigger the request and we received successful response, which confirms that PI server is able to get the response but still I get time out when i trigger the data.

Please correct me if i am wrong but the last thing now i can think of is as the SOAP channel is on Java Stack and to access that target system needed credentials for one  inbound interface so even for this sync scenario the target system should maintain it some where when the response is sent back to PI.

Regards,

Shashank

Muniyappan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

then try to increase the timeout values as suggested by mark in the below document page no 14.

Regards,

Muniyappan.

Harish
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shashank,

Please refer the below discussions

SOAP Receiver sync call timeout | SCN

former_member203665
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

The response is received with in a second be it via SOAP UI or PI server cmd. By default the timeout is set to 3 minutes in PI. I am not understanding the purpose of increasing the time out here.

Please let me know if my below understanding is correct or not

"The target system needed credentials for one  inbound interface, so for this synchronous scenario(PI<->Target) should the target system maintain credentials some where when the response is sent back to PI as the SOAP channel is on Java Stack?"

Harish
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shashank,

Please provide the channel configuration screenshot.

regards,

Harish

former_member203665
Participant
0 Kudos
Muniyappan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

"The target system needed credentials for one  inbound interface, so for this synchronous scenario(PI<->Target) should the target system maintain credentials some where when the response is sent back to PI as the SOAP channel is on Java Stack?"

Generally for receiver channel we get the user name and password from target system ie web service.

How did you test in SOAPUI? did you test it with providing username and password or not?

even if web service requires user/pwd then it will throw 401 unauthorized error.

check this

can you go to RWB-->component monitoring-->adapter Engine-->communication channel monitoring-->your channel

check if the channel has any errors/exceptions logs.

Regards,

Muni.

former_member203665
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

The SOAP UI works without Username-Password credentials.

And the Receiver channel clearly shows "Message processing completed successfully".

Regards,

Shashank

Harish
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shashank,

the screenshot is for error, can you provide the channel configuration screenshot?

regards,

Harish

former_member203665
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

PFB, the communication Channel snapshot. There is no authentication required as all the systems are in same landscape. Also no specific SOAP Action is required.

Regards,

Shashank