cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NeedOfContexts error message?

nscheaffer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am struggling to define the details of the issue I am having.  I'll try; maybe I can add more details soon.

First of all, we were running 4.1 SP01 Patch 2.  On March 7, 2014 I upgraded our environment to 4.1 SP01 Patch 6.  Things seem to be working fine, but there is no way I can run every single report in our system.  So I cannot say for sure if the problem we are having now was happening immediately after the upgrade or not.  I do know it was not happening before the upgrade.

Just yesterday a user reported getting the following error...

This report isn't used regularly, so I believe this was probably the first attempt to run it since the upgrade.  This report is built on a UNX universe on top of a SQL Server 2008 R2 database.

Now for more background information which may or may not be pertinent.  There are 8 other reports that are based on this same universe.  Only one other report is having issues (same errors).  The thing that the two reports having issues have in common is that they both prompt for a context.  That isn't all that surprising given the error messages.  However, Google and SAP xSearch yield exactly zero results.  Well, I am about to change that with this post.

The user that was getting this issue also has the Rich Desktop Client installed.  She tried to run the problematic report there and got the same error.  I received the same error when running the report through the browser, but not in Rich Desktop Client on my machine.  However, I have not had the opportunity to update the client tools on my machine to 4.1 SP01 Patch 6, but my user that reported the issue has upgraded.  So all of that together makes me suspicious that the upgrade is the issue.

We cannot go back.  We need a work around.  Perhaps I need to update my client tools and rebuild and redeploy the universe.

Has anyone else seen this?  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Noel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

onkarvelhals
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Noel,

Have a look at SAP KBA 1991448 - BI4.1 Reset context on refresh gives NeedOfContexts. (IES 01001) or processDPCommandsEx' API. (Error: ERR_WIS_30270) with UNX Universe.

Heres the link:

https://support.wdf.sap.corp/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/sno/ui_entry/entry.htm?param=69765F6D6F646...

It says that the this is a product defect (bug).

Excerpt From KBA:

The issue has been identified and tracked under ID ADAPT01720958.

The issue is targeted to be addressed in the next available Patch of BI 4.1 SP02 (possible Patch 2.5)

Hope this information helps.

Regards,

Onkar

nscheaffer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The link you provided doesn't work for me.  When I search up the Note 1991448 I get an error "Document is not released".  Is this someone internal to SAP and not been released yet?

Noel

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

alfons_gonzalez
Active Participant
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Update.

Although SAP advised a June release for SP2 Patch 6 it was actually released last week. I immediately checked the release notes for ADAPT01720958 but was somewhat confused by the answer I found :

New Behaviour : now context is prompted.

Hoping against hope that they just got the Note wrong, I installed the patch to test it and unfortunately the Note is not wrong. Our reports are still being prompted for a Context, albeit by initially producing the same error message that the originator of this thread reported back in mid March.

I have contacted our vendor and we have raised an incident with SAP direct.

Just to be clear on this : my expectations are that when you set a Context in the query of a Web Intelligence Document AND you UNCHECK "Reset contexts on Refresh" - to me that means "Please remember the context I have just set - do NOT PROMPT again".

nscheaffer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Prompting for context doesn't work so well for scheduled reports.  This is unfortunate.

Noel

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Noel,

Since my last post to this thread I have upgraded (again) to BI4.1 SP3 followed by SP3 Patch 2.

This latest patch has now addressed the Context issue we were experiencing. Now when Context has been set AND you un-check Refresh Context on Refresh we are no longer prompted for Context when reports with Refresh on Open are run.

This means that scheduled/published reports that require context are working again,

Regards

Scott

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Scott,

Thansk fot eh update...

even with base patch of 4.1 SP3 it works fine. But whenever we make some changes to universe and export the universe , it is still showing the same error message

"Unexpected enumerated type NeedOfContexts. (IES 01001)"....

With each new version of universe, it is coming?

We are planning to update the patch.

Before, since you are on same patch, can ypu please test this out and confirm , it is working as expected.

Most of our reports have unchecked the option "Reset Context on refresh" and saved with required contexts.

When we exporting the universe in each release, all the reports which have the above property unchecked are thrwoing this errors.

Thanks in advance

Thanks

Jagadish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jagadish,

We experienced the NeedOfContext error when we upgraded to SP3 base and that's why we had to install SP3 Patch 2 which was the first patch to include a fix for this issue. I have updated our universe a number of times since we applied Patch 2 and as far as I am aware we no longer see this problem.

I think all our reports have the "Reset Context on Refresh" option un-checked meaning that the context which was set at design-time is the one used at run-time.

Hope that makes sense.

Regards

Scott

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply...

We are facing another problemw ith contexts. The reports which have Reset Context on Refresh Option are unched and have optional prompt have issues.

Report is working fine for first time with optional prompts.

in Second refresh, we tried to pass prompt values for Optionla prompt, then also no issues.

Now when we rerun the report , by clearing th previous run prompt values and run as optional prompts, we are getting issues as it is trying to regenrate the query and looking for prompt selection.

I hope this issue might be resolved  with  SP3 Pach2.

Have another questions.

We are on SP3 4.1 Base pattch. We want to apply patch2. Do we directly apply patch  2 or first apply pacth1 andthen patch 2?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jagadish,

I can't comment on your latest issue as I don't have any reports with Optional prompts at the moment but will bear this in mind if we create any.

As for your second question. It is my understanding that BI4 Patches are cumulative. So Patch N *should* contain all of Patch N-1 fixes. Having said that, I should add that I am not an SAP consultant just a poor end user trying to help out another end user, so I would check this advice with your vendor before taking it as read.

Regards

Scott

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Scott.

It is great help if you can create a sample reprot which has contexts and optional prompts to produce the issue im facing and share the result with with me.

Yeah, as you said, we will update to patch after applying pacth1 of SP3

We are planning to do it on next week.

Thanks

Jagadish

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP have confirmed the following :

ADAPT01720958 is fixed for 4.1 SP2.6.  This patch level is expected to

be released in June.

This is the release dates of previous SP2 patches so I'm assuming a similar time of 3rd/4th week of month for release we are still approx. 7 weeks away from getting this.

EXEBIPLATSVR4102P_1-20010870.EXESBOP BI Platform Servers 4.1 SP02 Patch 1 - Update 1Info186651923.12.2013
EXEBIPLATSVR4102P_2-20010870.EXESBOP BI Platform Servers 4.1 SP02 Patch 2 - Update 2Info191186529.01.2014
EXEBIPLATSVR4102P_3-20010870.EXESBOP BI Platform Servers 4.1 SP02 Patch 3 - Update 3Info191896519.02.2014
EXEBIPLATSVR4102P_4-20010870.EXESBOP BI Platform Servers 4.1 SP02 Patch 4 - Update 4Info194833518.03.2014
EXEBIPLATSVR4102P_5-20010870.EXESBOP BI Platform Servers 4.1 SP02 Patch 5 - Update 5Info296365317.04.2014
former_member188911
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Noel,

that function is called to verify whether the query has prompts that need to resolve contexts.

As for any problem in the world, there can be a handful of possible causes.

First try to open the document, enter in the query panel re-point the data sources to the original universe (it should force regeneration of the query). If it works as expected, simply save the document back to the enterprise and try again.

Other of the possible causes that i can think of:

- incomplete deployment of war files or other binaries (when installing patches it is imperative to stop all services except SIA, CMS, FRS (Input and Output), the solution would be to reinstall the patch or to redeploy the war files.

- the client is retrieving a cached copy of the universe that is no longer valid. to bypass this you would clear the local cache and that on the BI server

PS: the previous post is correct there is a pending fix that could be relevant

Try also switching on and off Reset Context on Refresh from the document properties.

Thanks

Simone

nscheaffer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It seems that I was able to fix one of my reports by clearing the contexts or something like that.  I can't remember exactly what I did.  However, I am still having problems with the other one.  I'll keep trying your suggestions.

I suppose I will end up having to submit a customer support ticket/message.  However, the likelihood of that bringing about a real solution is very low.  I fully expect that the resolution would be to apply the next patch.  However, the reason we applied this last patch (4.1 SP01 Patch 6) was because were getting random unexplained errors which are still happening (see Message #243141/2014).

How do we know which patch to pick that is going to fix more than it breaks?  We do not have the resources to prepare and apply patches every couple of weeks.  I understand that SAP cannot test every possible scenario, but for a product that cost as much this does I would expect more.

Thanks,

Noel

former_member188911
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Noel,

patches are critical fixes that are intended to address serious issues.

Because they must be released in a short timeframe, they cannot be thoroughly tested, which happens with Support Packages.

The advice is to test own reports in QA before installing patches in production, the time it takes to do the tests differs depending on the scenario, however in my opinion there should be a set of procedures inside an organization to distribute the work and to have reports validated by the owners, side by side QA and PROD.

Concerning the other problems, I will have a look at the incident and will share my views with the engineer.

Thanks

Simone

nscheaffer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply and checking on my incident.

Noel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Noel,

I share your pain.

I have recently (Mar 28th) upgraded from BI4.0 SP6 to BI4.1 SP2 and then almost immediately (April 1st) to BI4.1 SP2 Patch 4 after Fridays upgrade process left our environment partially broken.

Today I've just received a call from a user reporting much the same issue you have posted about. In our case the query for the report does require a context (which has been set) but appears to be ignored when you Refresh the query.

To work around this I cleared the context and then upon Refreshing the query you are prompted for a Context. You then set the desired one and carry on. But the next time you open the .wid you are back to square one. In any case if the report is scheduled/published (as ours are) there is no workaround that I am aware of.

It took me no time at all to figure this out - not because I'm some amazing guru BUT because the EXACT same problem has happened before when we were at BI4.0 and it was resolved by (possibly BI4.0 SP5). The fact that the same issue (or extremely similar) has appeared again is IMHO a result of bad software development practice.

Clearly Contexts are a valid universe construct and so people make use of them. There is NO EXCUSE for releasing bugs like this with today's modern test driven development methodologies.

I'm now wading through the 107 pages of BI4.1 SP3 release notes to see if this issue has been addressed there.

Regards

Scott

Former Member
0 Kudos

Update.

The SAP note mentioned above by Onkar (ADAPT01720958) mentioned it was possible that this issue would be resolved in SP2.5.

BI4.1 SP2 Patch 5 was released 17.04.2014 but the release notes for this make no mention of ADAPT01720958..

Do we know if the issue has been assigned to a future release patch (and/or support pack) ?

Regards

Scott

0 Kudos

Hi,

in this case i would recommend you open an Incident with the SAP Support. Rerefence to that SAP Nite and the ADAPT and ask for the current Release status.

Regards

-Seb.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sebastian,

Our vendor has raised this on our behalf.