Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EWM Packaging Specification Query

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends

I need your help to clear my understanding about the Packaging specification

From help I know , in this master data we can define the packaging requirements of a product (single level or nested) and further this data can called in different processes using condition technique. While looking into the system , I can see different condition types availble for Inbound , palletization and outbound , warehouse task

I created a single level specification where I specified 100 EA of a product will be packed in a packaging material. I defined  OPAL, OIBD and OWHT condition record in the packaging specification with Supply unit and product details.

Now if I create an ID of 130 EA.

Will system create two HUs (100 EA and 30 EA) during the packing function ( Manual Packing) or it will create two WT at the time of final putaway ?

Also I am not clear why there are different condition type for different processes ? I can use the same condition for palletization and inbound process but not sure why different conditions are provided here , I would appreciate if you can help me to understand this..

Thanks for your help

Mahima

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JuergenPitz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

"Will system create two HUs (100 EA and 30 EA) during the packing function ( Manual Packing) or it will create two WT at the time of final putaway ?"

Depends

There are some places where you can assign the determination procedure to, two are:

- the warehouse number - here you have something for "internal processes" (which is used for putaway and pick strategies), "deconsolidation", and "palletization"

- the inbound document type (specifically the PDI).

If the determination is assigned to the warehouse number as palletization, then the system would create two WTs, one for 100 and one for 30 pcs.

If you have assigned the determination procedure to the inbound delivery, then the system can find the pack spec when you go to the manual packing from the inbound delivery. But I think you also have to flag "no automatic packing" in the inbound delivery doc type then. And you need to mark in the pack spec the flag "create HU" on the packing level. If the flag "no automatic packing" is not set, but the "create HU" flag is set, then HUs are automatically created in the inbound delivery.

"Also I am not clear why there are different condition type for different processes ? I can use the same condition for palletization and inbound process but not sure why different conditions are provided here , I would appreciate if you can help me to understand this.."

Well, there might be cases that in fact you can use the same pack spec for different processes. But for example often a pack spec for a pick HU (where you might pick several materials and the system shall find the best packing material) will not look like a palletization pack spec (where one specific material is packed according your agreement with the vendor).

Different conditions are provided, that does not mean you have to use them.

Brgds

Juergen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juergen,

Thanks for the explanation.

Is it possible to split the WT as per the packaging specification qty (assuming we have 1 level packing) but not create a HU?

I am looking for a functionality similar to LE qty in WM without HU management. I am using EWM 7.2

Thanks,

Najmuddin

JuergenPitz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

"Is it possible to split the WT as per the packaging specification qty (assuming we have 1 level packing) but not create a HU?"

Not a split of a WT. But when you create a pac spec for palatalization (mostly this is controlled by the determination procedure on warehouse level) the system creates WTs as per this pac spec data = the same results as the pack data on WM view 2 in ERP. And no HU is created then.

Brgds

Juergen

---

Want to learn EWM?

Check for EWM courses @ https://training.sap.com/curriculum/scm_ewm

Get a SAP Learning Hub Subscription: https://training.sap.com/shop/learninghub