cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PI high-availability - best practice experience

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everybody,

I like to evaluate the best practice of implementing of a SAP PI high-availability.

What are your experiences?

What is your recommended architecture?

And where do you see the dangers in such a project?

I am very interested in your answers

Best regards,

Tobias

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Harish
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tobias,

Below link might be helpful

regards,

Harish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thak you, Harish!

I will study these documents and information.

Regards,

Tobias

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

hinrich_benitt
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Tobias,

as you can see in the recommended links provided by other SDN members the HA enabling is a complex issue. You have many parts of SAP NW installations as the DB, the central services (msg-srv, enq, gw), the application servers, the java server nodes or the web dispatcher which are not typical for PI but common to other installation usages (ERP, Portal, BI) as well.

To answer the questions from my point of view. We are running double stack PI currently under 7.11 but in transition to 7.31.

What are your experiences?

- Complexity and a bunch of documentation spread around in the SDN or in SAP notes

- You have to very precise in the customizing of the PI system to make it a real HA solution

- Some more components have to be checked like SLD, file system handling when using file adapter

What is your recommended architecture?

There is more than one solution. To give you an idea, here is what we use for HA. Starting with a two node RAC database, a cluster software controlled central services instance with msg-srv, enq, gw, a replcated enqueue server and more than one application server (each of them with at least 2 java server nodes). A web dispatcher running as a HA service in a cluster does the load balancing of the internal and external traffic.

But if you think of planned downtime you will always run into a problem even if SAP does something for near zero downtime upgrades and support packages.

And where do you see the dangers in such a project?

- Technical complexity. A small misconfiguration does not stop the system but may lead into loss of HA functions

- The interface developer have to be aware of the HA idea as they have to define their interfaces accordingly to the HA

Kind regards, Hinrich

naveen_chichili
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tobias,

Please check the FAQ's on High Availability in the below link.Most of the company go with active-passive clustering.

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-25454

Thanks,

Naveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Naveen!!!