Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussion: File CC Transport. Setting location of Folder, Server, Archive

suwandi_cahyadi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I want to open a discussion.

This is not something technical but rather to be more managerial.

- When we transport the objects in Integration Builder to another server (like from DEV to QA), who do you think should be responsible to activate the transported objects? Will it be the basis guy or the development guy?

If the Basis how can they find which object to be activated easily? Is it from the change list? Because the Basis guy usually does not know about the      objects, he is just given the TR and then transports it.

- This is a similar question but this is related to the File Communication Channel. Because when we transport the file communication channel we need to re-configure the filename, location, archive location, FTP server, username and password (for object has not been transported before).

Who do you think should re-configure that?

Any opinion is appreciated.

Thank you,

Suwandi C.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

When we transport the objects in Integration Builder to another server (like from DEV to QA), who do you think should be responsible to activate the transported objects? Will it be the basis guy or the development guy?

>>PI Developer has to activate objscts, basis won't do that just becoz they are not sure what to configure inside channels.

If the Basis how can they find which object to be activated easily? Is it from the change list? Because the Basis guy usually does not know about the      objects, he is just given the TR and then transports it.

>>Yes change list would hel them in finding which objects need to be activated, but it's not a good process.

- This is a similar question but this is related to the File Communication Channel. Because when we transport the file communication channel we need to re-configure the filename, location, archive location, FTP server, username and password (for object has not been transported before).

>>Ur list is complete, but In case u are using any modules then u have to cross check the module parameters as well.

Thanks

Amit Srivastava

suwandi_cahyadi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

Thank you for the reply. Appreciate it.

Thank you,

Suwandi C.

suwandi_cahyadi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

After trying to simulate the process, I realized that the not activated object can not be seen by other user but the one who transported the objects.

If the basis does the transport using his own username, Can the developer guy see the not activated objects to activate it?

Thank you,

Suwandi C.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

First thing which u need to answer is which mechanism (CTS+ or file transport) u will be following in ur landscape to transport objects from one system to another?

If u will use CTS+, then the transported objects will always come under the ctsadm user id, so developer can easily move that transported object from CTS id into its own and then activate the same.

But in case u are using file transport then yes transported objects will come under the userid of that person who is doing file import in QA.

Thanks

Amit Srivastava

suwandi_cahyadi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I use the file transport mechanism.

I've been trying to configure the CTS+, but fails as I've read from the following document:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/20ccd0ec-2839-2b10-0097-

828fcd8ed809?overridelayout=true

In Chapter 2 it is stated that

"Please keep in mind that the CTS+ Close Coupling integration is only available for SAP NetWeaver

Process Integration 7.1 starting of SP06.

If you have older Patch Levels, only the loose coupling via File Export and upload of Non-ABAP

objects to a CTS+ communication system exists. "

Since I'm using the PI 7.1 SP04, I guess I have no other choice but to use the File transport mechanism.

So then, I have no choice instead of having the basis guy to activate and configure CC when transporting the PI Objects in Integration Builder.

EDIT:

I've just doing some reseach and it seems that only the close couping for SAP PI available starting at version 7.1 SP06, For older version the loose coupling CTS by uploading the non-ABAP object to the TR is still possible. Is this correct?

https://help.sap.com/saphelp_ctsplug20sm71/helpdata/en/09/734a27116b4f6185e072df4e8332fa/content.htm

https://help.sap.com/saphelp_ctsplug20sm71/helpdata/en/f5/6a5c15357b4db19fb07f5ee1a97472/content.htm

If this is correct, I need more insights of how this work. Will it work like this:

PI Developer will chose the PI Objects to be transported and export the objects to a *.tpz file (using the file system mechanism). PI Developer will then attach the file system to a TR from the ABAP TCode SE09. TR will be given to the Basis guy to be transported. Once Transported the PI Objects in Integration Directory will be based by the Developer user ID because it is using the CTS mechanism transport.

is that correct?

Thank you,

Suwandi C.

suwandi_cahyadi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think I should put my concern too.

My concern is that:

- If the Basis guy should activate/re-configure those things. Then the Basis guy should know about the objects being transported, which is something rare to happen. Usually Basis will only transport and informs back if the transport is successful or not.

- If the Developer guy should activate/re-configure those things. There will be a time-gap between when it is transported successfully to the target system and when the Developer guy activate and Configure those things.

Thank you,

Suwandi C.

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It depends ..

some clients prefer such tasks should be taken care by Basis only..

and some organization do provide developer access in production environment just to execute the cut over activities i.e. configuration of channels/activation/validating routing logic etc..

This is a similar question but this is related to the File Communication Channel. Because when we transport the file communication channel we need to re-configure the filename, location, archive location, FTP server, username and password (for object has not been transported before).

>>> Having worked in both situations - except communication channels, all other objects can be activated directly i believe.

So we used to provide the channel details in  an excel and Basis configure them before they activate.

Then as a developer it was our responsibility to validate them before starting the channels.

If there is any situation where you can not transport receiver determination object, we used to provide them with condition along with screenshot so that they can configure.

It was a kind of template

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

>>There will be a time-gap between when it is transported successfully to the target system and when the Developer guy activate and Configure those things.

I am not sure why there will be a time gap, generally in projects we use to configure batch jobs to transport TRs from one system to another. So if that's the case then TR owner will automatically notified (in case u have to setup such mechnism) and then u can do ur post processing activities.

or

If ur Basis team is gng to manullly perform that task then u can ask them to drop a mail and notify the TR owner about the transport status.

IMO, i don't think it's something which will intoduce time delay/gap and all. So, set proper transport/post processing SLAs and u will be good

Thanks

Amit Srivastava

suwandi_cahyadi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hareesh,

Thank you for the reply. I get the picture now that it will be different in every project, so use whichever one that suits better.

What I want to ask is:

How could the developer validate the channels before starting them? AFAIK the channels will be automatically in a start state once it is activated after being transported. CMIIW.

Thank you,

Suwandi C.

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Suwandi - Your channel(new) will be visible/runs only when you activate it.

and while transporting the channel, just set the status to inactive and export..

Once the objects are transported by Basis- they keep the channel in inactive mode until a developer confirms that configuration is fine.

suwandi_cahyadi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hareesh,

Thank you for the opinion. Appreciate it.

Thank you,

Suwandi C.