cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what happens exactly in the background while applying kernel?+sap

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

what happens exactly in the background while applying kernel.

please help me.

Regards

subramanyam reddy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sivakumar_kilari3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

You are just overwriting ( copying) old kernel with latest kernel.  Noting will happen in background.

While applying kernel you have to stop sap application.

Thanks

Siva

Former Member
0 Kudos

Actually some "things" do happen in the background when a new kernel is installed. On first start of the SAP Start Service (sapstartsrv.exe) depending on the OS, kernel version and the architecture of the SAP instance (ABAP, JAVA, Dual-Stack) files get copied and possibly registered. Another "thing" that happens is that during the start of the SAP instance the bootstrap process (sapcpe) syncs files in the central directory with the instance specific one. There might be others as well, those are the ones I can think of from the top off my head.

sivakumar_kilari3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes I agree  with you but while applying kernel what will happen in the background is the question ?

your answer is after applied the kernel.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

If you know how a kernel update is done then you wouldn't have asked this question.

Maybe the question was not properly phrased.

You replace the kernel at the OS level with a version/patch level of your choice for a reason.

What Samuli said is also a point. The kernel update doesn't get completed after putting the new kernel. You need to get it replicated to the local executable area if the sapcpe fails to do it.

Try to do some research before asking basic questions here.

Regards

RB