cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which option is the best - Upgrade from GRC 5.3 to 10.1 or migration from GRC 5.3 to 10.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

One of my client is expecting to use GRC 10.1. Currently they have GRC 5.3 and want to upgrade to GRC 10.1

Can anybody give me benefits of both options - Upgrade vs Migration then it would be great ?

Thanks,

Aditi Shah

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member193066
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yeah people are true no upgrade.

but there are 2 approach .

1) Migrate from 5.3

2)New implementation of 10.1 and use data of 5.3 (like rule set,Mitigation)

there are ways to upload transnational data

i would suggest go with migration, will reduce your effort and easy in validation.

Regards,

Prasant

steverumsby
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

How are your options 1 and 2 different? A migration is a fresh install and a copy of data, isn't it?

Steve.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Prasant Paichha wrote:

yeah people are true no upgrade.

but there are 2 approach .

Prasant,

Your response suggests that you have specific knowledge of two different approaches; how many times have you, yourself, actually done this? What exactly *was* the difference between your "migration" and your "fresh install with a copy of the 5.3 data", and how did that experience turn out for your customers? I am curious because my experience aligns with 's responses: I do not see any difference between your options 1 and 2. Please clarify.

Gretchen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi PRashant,

Can you explain to us ?

Appreciate your help !

Thanks,

Aditi

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

HI Aditi

you will benefit here in listening to Steve and Gretchen - they know a heap more than me on GRC but you don't see them in this forum much as they are both busy doing their own GRC migrations

Steve already answered your question

Regards

Colleen

former_member193066
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Steve,

Migration you deploy Java component and extract data form 5.3 and import in 10.

still lots of work to be done like and implementation as there are pre-requisite.

second approach does not need to extract all data from 5.3 system(apart from Ruleset,if at all its required)

I never migrate workflows better to create new one identical and faster i believe .

Second approach is little time consuming but good from my point of view.

In java stack people normally go with 2 system landscape .

there has been client where in ABAP people go with 3 system landscape.

now where tricky consulting part play and which data to be imported where.

and few other points needed to be looked like when you use tools and import data.

you actually import all transaction  data which contain all active and inactive

expired.

in you go with 2nd option you will have only valid data to start with.

Regards,

Prasant

steverumsby
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The standard migration process allows you to choose which data (config, master or transactional data, and even subsets of them) to migrate, doesn't it? I'm still struggling to understand how your option two is different from option one, unless by "new implementation" you mean "start again with a blank system". Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

Steve.

steverumsby
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is no upgrade from 5.3 to 10.1, only a migration. That makes the choice a little easier:-)

Steve.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steve,

Can we do basis upgrade and security migration ? how to do this migration ? any benefits ?

Please share here so I can guide my client .

Appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Aditi

steverumsby
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

5.3 is Java based. 10.1 is ABAP based. There is no basis upgrade. You do a basic NetWeaver 7.40 install and then GRC is an ABAP add-in. Then you export data from 5.3 and import to 10.1. You need to have your 5.3 system at a specific patch level to support the data export - check the migration guide.

Steve.

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Aditi

Have you read the installation and migration guides from SAP Marketplace?

Regards

Colleen