cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BI - JDBC connector for remote database.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am trying to use my portal oracle database in VC applications. I have successfully connected to the database using JDBC connector as well as BI-JDBC connector. However when I try to use this BI-JDBC system in SQL editor I cannot see any tables. I have created JDBC and BI-JDBC system objects in the portal and the connection test is successful for both the systems.

I am using BI-JDBC connector so that I can see the tables and write select queries which I can use in VC applications. Using JDBC connector I can see only the stored procedures. So tried using BI-JDBC connector.

Is there anyway I can see the tables and views in the oracle database in the VC applications.

Thanks in advance.

Aamod.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

With BI_JDBC you should see the tables and views (if available). So perhaps your DB-user does not have enough authorizations?

Anyways: look into the Visual Composer WIKI:

https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/VC/Connectivity

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the prompt respose.

I have already seen the link which you have sent and checked that the DB-user has the rights. I can query the database tables from SQL Plus using this user login. Are there some special roles which should be assigned to this user.

Also is it necessary that BI has to installed on the databases which we are trying to access, because this database is our Portal database.

Regards,

Aamod

Former Member
0 Kudos

Say again: you can see the tables in the Search Panel on the left side, but not in the SQL Editor?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When i select the BI-JDBC system in VC "Find Data" I cannot see any tables. There are tables in the database though.

Regards,

Aamod.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I updated the WIKI page: https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/VC/Cannotseetables

Can you check, if one of the related links (roles needed) is the one that might be the problem in your case?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I saw the link. I was talking about the roles of the database user.

Is it that when you use BI-JDBC connection to a BI server (BW) database (oracle/MSsql), you see the tables and the queries and when BI-JDBC connection is used to connect other database (remote database on which BI is not installed) you cannot see the tables?

Regards,

Aamod.

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, that doesn't matter. Any database that you connect through JDBC should display something, when you have the proper authorizations for the mapped DB user.

BI JDBC does not mean, you can only access databases where a BI system is on. It just means the SAP BI team built that connector, in contracts to the Portal connector (that was built by the Portal team).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The DB user which I am using, can query the database from SQL PLUS. So he can see the tables and everything. But when the same user is used for mapping with portal user the tables cannot be seen.

When I select the system in VC and click on "Browse Table Catalog" I get the following structure.

BI-JDBC

And below 1 theres nothing. When I select "Tables" and search *, it says "Search returned no result".

Please advice.

Regards,

Aamod.

0 Kudos

Hi Aamod,

I have seen this problem long time ago, please use the latest SP of BI JDBC connector.

the other possibility is the problem from the jdbc driver, try use other jdbc driver to access your DB.

best regards,

Shan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Probably a stupid suggestion, but I have encountered the same and then found that I searched for table names using lower case text. At least for the Oracle db I am using I have to search for tables in caps: TABLENAME

The most frustrating of problems often have simple solutions...

Henning