cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing all java applets

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, 

What technology shoud we use to replace all  the Java Applets in our MII applications ¡? .  The reason is that java applets slows them down  ,  sometimes the application screen ( GUI ) seems like not  responding & when the end user is proactive changes his computer  java version to the latest  which does create other kind of problems to the MII applications .

Furthermore,  we want our MII applications running on plataforms which do not  support java applets ( ipads for example ) .  I guess that our next move is to use AJAX, JQUERY & XSLT technologies instead of java applets,  but still we would like to make sure that there is no another way .

Thanks in advance ,

Note : We are running a MII 12.2.3 build 167 sp 5  with a 7.11 CW NW version

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

saumya_govil
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Fernando,

We were facing similar issues related to application performance using applets. We have replaced some of the Command applets by Servlet calls that are still MII specific but are faster.

For UI, we replaced some applets with JQuery and are looking at HTML5 objects. Grids can be replaced with Servlet calls and getting a HTML table as a response.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Saumya Govil

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Saumya,

We are in the process of replacing all the applets of certain MII applications .

Best regards,

former_member193328
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Fernando

The best UI technology providing rich UI is HTML5 currently which is supported on all devices and browsers (IE9 is minimum) but with varying degrees of support with Chrome the best but others are not too far behind.

The easiest way to replace the Applets and use HTML5 rendering is to upgrade to MII 14.0 SP4 and use the SAP UI5 based i5Charts, i5Grid.

If you cannot upgrade to MII 14.0 or higher (15.0 has some cool features as well) you may do this on your own where you may use one of several HTML5 based charting libraries like D3, High Charts etc but the work will be more for you as MII 12.2 does not have JSON support (available with MII 14.0 again) and you will have to work with XML or write custom code to convert XML to JSON.

So my suggestion would be upgrade and use i5 Charts as these look much better, are faster and provide almost the same support as the applets. Also these charts would be developed in the future in MII but the applets would remain mostly in maintenance mode. This means new features would, most probably, be only added to the HTML5 charts in MII.

Best Regards

Partha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Partha,

We expect no problem replacing the chart applets . We are still looking for how to relate ( coordinate ) two  or more drill down select tags using pure javascript ( or jquery , jsson .. )  and extracting the data from MII .

Any ideas ¡?

Thanks in advance ,