cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

13 Oracle 11g systems running on same hardware platform : one unique Oracle instant Client ?

Farid
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are running 13 different SAP production systems on our Production hardware cluster machines : node A and node B.

Platform info:

Model:     "ia64 hp Superdome2 16s"

Release:   HP-UX B.11.31

All our SAP databases are running on Oracle 11.2.0.2.0 (non MCOD, we have 13 distinct Oracle home)

All our SAP systems are running on Neweaver 7.00 or higher ; PI 7.31, EP7.31 ECC6 EHP.5, BW 7.3 , etc ...

NodeA and nodeB are the two nodes of the hardware cluster ; 7 sap systems run by default on NodeA and 5 sap system run by default on nodeB, in case of a hardware failure the systems switch to the other cluster node.

When the sap systems are running in their default cluster node, they use a 11.2.0 Instance client (11.2.0.2 or 11.2.0.3) but when the sap systems switch over to the other cluster node, an outdated Oracle 10.2.0.5 Oracle Client has been configured :

jrpadm> ldd dboraslib.so

dboraslib.so:

libnsl.so.1 =>  /usr/lib/hpux64/libnsl.so.1

libpthread.so.1 =>      /usr/lib/hpux64/libpthread.so.1

libclntsh.so.10.1 =>    /oracle/client/10x_64/instantclient/libclntsh.s

libnnz10.so =>  /oracle/client/10x_64/instantclient/libnnz10.so

libc.so.1 =>    /usr/lib/hpux64/libc.so.1

libxti.so.1 =>  /usr/lib/hpux64/libxti.so.1

libnnz10.so =>  /oracle/client/10x_64/instantclient/libnnz10.so

librt.so.1 =>   /usr/lib/hpux64/librt.so.1

libnss_dns.so.1 =>      /usr/lib/hpux64/libnss_dns.so.1

libdl.so.1 =>   /usr/lib/hpux64/libdl.so.1

libm.so.1 =>    /usr/lib/hpux64/libm.so.1

libpthread.so.1 =>      /usr/lib/hpux64/libpthread.so.1

libunwind.so.1 =>       /usr/lib/hpux64/libunwind.so.1

libnsl.so.1 =>  /usr/lib/hpux64/libnsl.so.1

libdl.so.1 =>   /usr/lib/hpux64/libdl.so.1

libuca.so.1 =>  /usr/lib/hpux64/libuca.so.1

jrpadm> cd

jrpadm> grep -i instantclient .*

.dbenv.1.csh:  set ADD=/oracle/client/10x_64/instantclient

.dbenv.1.sh:  ADD=/oracle/client/10x_64/instantclient

.dbenv.2.sh:  ADD=/oracle/client/10x_64/instantclient

I think this is not supported , as mentioned in sap note 819829

"Use Oracle Instant Clients of release 10.2 only if your database is running on Oracle Database Release 10.2."

This has been done by a dishonest external consultant one year ago, without us noticing it.

We are now in the process of cleaning this mess, so we are reviewing in detail "SAP note 819829 - Oracle Instant Client Installation and Configuration on Unix"

As you can understated we could have potentially 13 sap systems of different shape and colors (ABAP,Java,dual stack, 7.00, 7.31) running on the same Hp-UX Superdome node , we were wondering if we can configure one UNIQUE Oracle Instance Client being shared by ALL the sap systems :

For Example

instantclient -> /oracle/client/11x_64/instantclient_11203

Is there a problem witch having one unique Oracle instant Client ?

Or should we we create dedicate Oracle instant client for each sap systems ? For example :

/oracle/JRP/client/11x_64

/oracle/BWP/client/11x_64

/oracle/SCP/client/11x_64

Thank you in advance for your attention

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raoul,

> We were wondering if we can configure one UNIQUE Oracle Instance Client being shared by ALL the sap systems. For Example: instantclient -> /oracle/client/11x_64/instantclient_11203 .. Is there a problem witch having one unique Oracle instant Client ?

No problem as this is the configuration as it should be. I also have setup several PowerHA clusters with such a configuration (Oracle client as local file system and shared by all SAP Oracle databases / systems within this cluster).

You just need to be careful when removing the old Oracle client with J2EE instances, portals or whatever. The JDBC driver location is harcoded in various configuration files (and bootstrap files as far as i can remember) and need to be adjusted manually. It is not set by the user environment.

Regards

Stefan

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Farid
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you all for your answers, I will configure an unique Client as recommended.

I started to have a look at the JDBC driver location in config.properties file, and it is even dirtier than I thought.

I wish there was a section in SCN to report rogue consultants.

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

Yes you can configure a single Oracle Instant Client for all the SAP systems.

We have configured multiple SAP systems on a server with the Oracle Instant Client pointing to /oracle/client/11x_64/instantclient_11203

Modify the environment variable files for the sidadm user with the 11G Oracle Instant Client path.

For J2EE based systems you will need to update the Configtool with the correct path.

Regards

RB

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raoul,

Please update Oracle client to 11.2 on failover node. It can be used by all the SAP instances on failover node.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I do not see any risk in having one single Oracle client for all!

Your setup is same as having multiple application servers on single host where you use single client for all.

Regards,

Nick Loy