cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why extended Classic is implemented

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everybody,

I was working in SAP SRM for past 3 years and only Support Experience. Yesterday attended an interview and he asked me why your client has implemented Extended Classic why not Classic Scenario?

I know it depends to client-to-client.

Can any one let me know the list of points need to be discussed to support this question. My answer was not impressive.

Sree

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sree,

FYI You can check the document available at

Best Regards,

Ankit Jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Ankit,

Thanks for your quick Reply.

But I hope this doesn't satisfy the interviewer.

If possible if anybody has implemented Extended Classic Scenario, can anyone explain what you will tell if this question is asked in Interview.

Iam aware this is project specific. If possible plz explain.

vinita_kasliwal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Sreekanth

What Ankit has mentioned and as per the link it should be a good enough reason for understanding why Extended classic should be selected and why Classic .. based on what the user requirment is ..

for your understanding read below :

Classic : There is a very tight integration with the SAP R/3 system. The Leading Purchase Order document is created in the R/3 system. A number of organizations have chosen this implementation scenario as it provides the advantage of having the least impact on your existing backend processing. You can utilize the functionality in EBP to allow users to shop in an online mode with use of eCatalogs and once the shopping is completed you can leave your existing backend processing as it is, ie. PO Transmission, GR, Invoice processing can all stay the same as it was. Plus, for enterprise reporting purposes, all documents can reside in R/3 as before.

EXT CLASSIC : Although there are not a lot of organizations utilizing this implementation scenario, nevertheless it is very useful. SAP did not support this scenario until EBP release 3.0 and therefore you don't see a lot of organizations using this. Here the leading Purchase Order Document is created and saved in the Enterprise Buyer System itself. And a copy of the original document is sent into the backend SAP R/3 system. This could be useful for your org, if you wanted to complete all purchasing activities with the EBP system itself but still wanted to send the eventual PO document to SAP R/3. Here the transmission of the PO and other documents received from the vendor are conducted from EBP system. So that could mean some additional work as you'd have to re-do any EDI/XML transmissions you might be doing from R/3 in EBP.

Determination of Classic and Extended Classic Scenario primarily depends on the settings you make in IMG (Define backend system for product category). At the same time you can use BBP_EXTLOCALPO_BADI  to have additional parameters in determining Classic or Extended classic scenario for your processes

Hope this helps ..

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

sameer_ahmed6
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

In layman's term ECS is implemented when you want Organizations employees and Purchasers have a minimal load on R/3 and Maximum work can be carried out in SRM. In those scenarios you go for ECS.

In additon to that SRM has more features than R/3 like Strategic purchasing.

Rg,Sameer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sree,

You are right here it depends on the client whether to configure the system for extended classic and classic scenario.

The extended classic scenario suits customer who wants to

• their purchasing department to save time and money by using the streamlined purchasing functionality of SAP SRM
  • use the full sourcing capabilities offered by SAP SRM, yet who also want to be able to confirm and invoice direct materials
  • the flexibility of being able to pre-enter confirmations and invoices

Where the classic scenario suits the customer who wants:

• wide user group, for example employees not necessarily working in the purchasing department, to be able to enter their requirements quickly and easily. SAP SRM’s functionality and ease of navigation allow this, as it requires only minimal training
  • their purchasing department to operate solely with the functionality offered by the backend system(s)
  • For whom a transfer of purchasing activities to SAP SRM is not viable in SAP SRM

You can use both the classic and extended classic capabilities by configuring the product categories

Please let me know if the above answer is helpful.

Best Regards,

Ankit Jain