Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating SAP J2EE CE 711 from MS 2003 to MS 2012

cillian_cahill2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I've done a few ABAP migrations in the past (copy & export/import) but migrating a JAVA instance is new to me. I have a good idea of the SAP JAVA migration concept and that an export/import seems to be unavoidable due to our MS cluster HA configuration:

Source:

SAP Netweaver JAVA CE 711, MSSQL 2005 on Windows Server 2003 (HA)

Target:

SAP Netweaver JAVA CE 711, MSSQL 2012 on Windows Server 2012 (HA)

1. Is it possible just to export the central instance files and detach/re-attach the DB Data files? or is full export more advisable?

2. If detach/re-attach is possible I assume I only attach to the primary node and they sync over...?

3. post migration: I know there are some host entries on the config tool to change and a new license is required. What else should I look out for...I assume SSL cert but I can't think of anything else!

I would welcome any additional advice if you feel like I am missing out on something.

Regards,

Cillian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Cillian,

It is recommended to use export/import method for this migration. This will avoid manual changes in the FQDN, hostfile , SSL etc.

You may build the target on MSSQL 2012 with HA configured and import the database.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

cillian_cahill2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

It would be a solution if the system was an ABAP system, but unfortunately it's an SAP CE JAVA 7.1 system so backing up and restoring onto another 2003 wouldn't be possible - only export/import.

I guess simplifying the questions:

1. Can an SAP JAVA system on a HA cluster be un-clustered to run on a single node as a normal standalone system? (2003) 

2. Can an SAP JAVA system already installed on a single MS server avail of HA by getting another server and installing the clustering services on both....? (2008)

I understand if we want to go from 2003 -> 2012, we'll need to go to Server 2008 first.... But I think we might be happy with 2008 at this point.

Regards,

Cillian

cillian_cahill2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your help - the answers confirmed what I thought, but the business wants to know if it's possible to upgraded without the need for new hardware (costs). I explained that export/import is the solution supported by MS and SAP - but they want to investigate other options.

One of the questions asked was:

Can we remove the cluster services from the cluster (as this prevents OS upgrade) - then do an in-place upgrade (2008) as non-HA in-place upgrade is now supported by SAP and Microsoft. Once the upgrade is complete on both nodes, can the clustering services be re-installed?

Has anyone tried anything like?

Regards,

Cillian

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Cillian,

Can we remove the cluster services from the cluster (as this prevents OS upgrade) - then do an in-place upgrade (2008) as non-HA in-place upgrade is now supported by SAP and Microsoft. Once the upgrade is complete on both nodes, can the clustering services be re-installed?

This may not work as the cluster configuration for Windows 2003 and 2008/2012 are different.

I have another options

1) Install a single system for SAP based on Windows 2003.

2) Take backup of system on HA and restore the same on single system built in step1

3) Un-install SAP and DB on existing HA system

4) Install new OS Windows 2008 R2/2012  and configure HA

5) Perform Upgrade on system built in step2

6) Take backup of upgraded system from step 5 and restore it on newly installed system in step4.

7) Test the cluster setup

Here there is a need for additional staging server ( 1 server).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Cillian

You have to do the system copy by using the Export /Import method. Since the single stack (Java). you may not do perform using backup /restore or detach/re-attach method.

Kindly follow the system copy guide as mention in the below link

System Copy - General Administration Tasks - SAP Library

and some of the SAP Note

1875778 - Performance Optimization for System Copy Procedures

Regards

Sriram

srinivasan_vinayagam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Cillain,

You can first upgrade the database version in Source system then go for export and import.

May be intermediate upgrade required this scenario, better contact SAP.

Windows 2003 not support MS SQL 2012.

Windows 2012 not support MS SQL 2005 ( not sure)

May be two step upgrade required.

1676665  - Setting up Microsoft SQL Server 2012

Thanks & Regards,

V Srinivasan