cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Host and Diagnostic agent

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

We are running ECC 6.6 and Portal on Net Weaver 7.31 ,and have Soution Manager 7.1,As I have read many places that host agent get installed automatically with Net Weaver Installation.

In My Portal server I am able to see hostctrl folder and SAPHostControl service related to host agent, but there is no such service or folder in R/3 server.So do I need to install Host Agent separately for R/3 system.

One more Question do I need to have Host agent mandatory for Diagnostic agent installation(SMD)?

Thanks

Chander

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

You may read this SAP note

1031096 - Installing Package SAPHOSTAGENT

SAP Host Agent gets installed automatically during the installation of SAP systems with kernel 7.20 and above. You can also install SAP Host Agent when you upgrade SAP systems to higher versions.

You can also install and upgrade SAP Host Agent independently.

You only need to install SAP Host Agent separately in the following cases:

There is no SAP system or instance on the host.

The SAP system or instance running on the host has a kernel release lower than SAP kernel 7.20 and the host does not yet have an SAP Host Agent.

You have upgraded your SAP system to a release with a kernel release lower than SAP kernel 7.20 and the host of the upgraded system or instance does not yet have an SAP Host Agent.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear RB,

In our R/3 system Kernel release is 720 ,and we doesn't have SAP host agent,But for Java with same  kernel release we have SAP host agent.

When we installed Net Weaver 7.31 for java portal SAP Diagnostic agent installed automatically and with that SAP host agent also came.

My main purpose to install Diagnostic agent for R/3 for E2E analysis ,so i want more clarity regarding SAP host and diagnostic agent.

R/3 is on Net Weaver 7.31( ECC 6.6), So which version of diagnostic and host agent need to be installed and are they installed separately  .

Thanks In Advance

Chander

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

In our R/3 system Kernel release is 720 ,and we doesn't have SAP host agent,But for Java with same  kernel release we have SAP host agent.

If this is an ECC system upgraded from an old R/3 system then you might have ignored to install SAP Host Agent as I have seen the upgrade guides suggesting to install SAP Host Agent starting from EHP5.

When we installed Net Weaver 7.31 for java portal SAP Diagnostic agent installed automatically and with that SAP host agent also came.

Read my previous reply. All new installation bring in SAP Host Agent.

My main purpose to install Diagnostic agent for R/3 for E2E analysis ,so i want more clarity regarding SAP host and diagnostic agent.

R/3 is on Net Weaver 7.31( ECC 6.6), So which version of diagnostic and host agent need to be installed and are they installed separately  .

Follow the SAP note I have given above. The latest version is SAP HOST AGENT 7.20

Here is the SAP note once again 1031096 - Installing Package SAPHOSTAGENT

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks RB and All Experts for your great help.

I installed Diagnostic agent on my R/3 system.But when i was installing Diagnostic agent i came to know with word agent-on-fly,So please could you guys explain me what is agent-on-fly and how we can use this functionality .

Thanks In Advance

Chander

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Chander

If your ECC is netweaver 7.0 and above the Diagnostic Agent will be automatically Installed with the installation and the Instance name you can see as DAA in the SAPMMC. if you have the instance in the MMC you have the Dia Agent and Host installed in ECC already. For using SMD you need to have the Host agent installed mandatory for collecting information from the ECC DAA agent to Solman DAA agent for data collection and feeding data in tools like Exception Analysis, Workload Analysis, Trace Analysis and Change Analysis.

Agent on Fly: Agent on fly concept used for High availability for your Client landscape, where Database /Serverswitch/fail over activity in place.

Also check the link shared.

Regards,

Vinod Palli

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

In the continuation of this Discussion as I have already mentioned above  that my main agenda to get E2E analysis for my R/3 system.

After installation of Diagnostic Agent  I performed all the steps of managed system configuration in solman for my R/3 system .

But in the step 11 (check configuration),I am getting attached error.

Thanks & Regards

Chander

Former Member
0 Kudos

attach latest logs from SMDAgentApplication.<nn>.log (<drive>\usr\sap\<diag_agent_SID>\SMDA97\SMDAgent\log

mamartins
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Usually that error is caused by shared memory problems after the installation/upgrade of the HOSTAGENT.

It's a QUA system, right? Do a machine reboot and hopefully will be solved.

Regards,

MM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Manuel,

I have restarted the machine but the error is still coming.

Thanks

Chander

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sunil,

Please find the attached log file for SMD agent.

Thanks

Chander

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Chander

Why don't you raise a new thread for this issue?

The present issue seems to be an issue with the hostname.

Caused by: java.rmi.RemoteException: Error to perform http request cause by java.io.IOException: Unable to open connection to host "igasapsandb:1128". The host is down or unavailable...; nested exception is:

java.io.IOException: Unable to open connection to host "igasapsandb:1128". The host is down or unavailable..

If the hostname you are using is valid then try using FQDN

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chander,

Please go thru the link mentioned below.

Diagnostics Agent and HA Support - SAP Solution Manager Setup - SCN Wiki

Hope it helps.

Regards

Sunny

former_member45419
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

refer to