cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transporting Data models in SAP HANA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I was trying to understand how data models can be transported in SAP HANA and came across the different options in the Export option of hana Studio like exporting with Delivery unit, Developer mode, etc.. Can someone please elaborate on the differences between each and the scenrio when each should be used?

Thanks,

Sam

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member182302
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sammy,

Have a look on this video ( if you are using SP7)

Development Perspective: Change Manager (SPS7) | SAP HANA

This feature will help you in version management.

In the previous versions,you can use manual import and export in the previous versions through delivery unit.

Regards,

Krishna Tangudu

justin_molenaur2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Krishna, are you actually using this feature or just providing the link for reference?

Just curious who is really using the Development perspective for modeling artifacts consistently.

Regards,

Justin

former_member182302
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No Justin, haven't used in any "production" environments till now since the client am working for is still to be upgraded to SP7. At internal system we are doing some R&D in those lines and developing artifacts from "Development" perspective.

Here i shared this link for reference itself.

Also i think using Development perspective for modelling is what is being suggested going forward in blogs like this

May be and his team are already using "Development" perspective consistently

Regards,

Krishna Tangudu

rindia
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I started using Development perspective for my new POC.

justin_molenaur2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Raj, how are you finding it so far? How does the modeling artifact workflow really change for you? Are you setting up delivery units and using the 'release' functionality?

Just curious how others are using it hands on.

Regards,

Justin

rindia
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Justin,

I am in early stage of using it and took me lot of time to just create a table only.

Will give separate message regarding my experiences after few week(s).

regards

Raj

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Krishna!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Raj,

Curious to know how you are using the development perspective for modelling. How are you migrating the models in the landscape when multiple developers are working in a package.

We are currently working on SP6 and each developer has a personal folder for development. Once the models are ready to be migrated we do developer import / export to the main package on which delivery unit is created. The DU is then migrated. However we run into issues when production bug fixes have to be done as there can be models in the main package which have not been fully tested in QA. How have you tackled these issues in your projects.

Thanks,

Aamod.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Krishna,

I would like to know if you have used the team development perspective for modelling. If you dont use development perspective how do you do development while many developers work in the same package and how do you take care of transporting the content.

Thanks,

Aamod

former_member182302
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Aamod,

We are using development perspective for the modelling and currently we use CTS+ to transport the delivery units.

We did face some issues while more than 2 developers were working on the same model. We use "Sync" to be in Remote Version and when all the developer objects are in sync we then map the development objects to delivery units and then transport via CTS+

Regards,

Krishna Tangudu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Krishna,

Thanks for a quick response. However I would like to get some more details like does check in / check out work for models. If one developer has checked out a model, can the second developer still check out the same model? When I do team -> activate on the model, the changes are reflected in the central repository. Then is there a need for check - in? I have seen some videos of using development perspective and new change manager in SP7 for XS engine projects. However I have not come across any documentation on using it for modelling.

Please let me know if you have some guide.

Thanks,

Aamod

PS: We do use CTS+ for transporting the delivery units. But our package it at project level so its a problem when multiple developers are working. So currently we develop in our personal development package and then do developer import / export of the main package.

former_member182302
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Aamod,

I and my other colleague work parallel on the same models. So when i do some change , the other developer if he doesn't refresh/ checkout and does some changes on the models from his side it would fail mentioning that another version with same number got activated and will ask to resolve the changes with the remote version before doing any changes.

So the other guy before transporting has to "Synchronize"  and check out the models to see if the changes are reflecting for him and then transport.

As of now we are also using CTS+ for transports but going forward you may want to consider "Change Manager" which comes with more features

Regards,

Krishna Tangudu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aamod,

The definition of Check-in and Check-out is different in HANA workspace based development.

If you Check-out an object( models or .hdb objects), then it doesn't locks it from being changed by any other user. Also, there is no option to Check-IN an object.

So if two users are working on same file, then whoever activates first will get his changes saved in the repository. The second developer will receive an error when he activate his version of same file - Activation Failed...another higher version caused an activation. To resolve this, difference between object in repository and second developer's local workspace have to be corrected manually by going to synchronize view.

Export of Delivery Unit will bring in all the objects from DEV to Test environment. So, to have a control on what objects should get migrated, you can go for Change Manager.

Open a separate thread and we can discuss your concerns about migration.

Message was edited by: Tarun Gupta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tarun and Krishna thanks for your inputs. It was really helpful. At my client we are currently on SP6 so cannot use change manager. However I tried out sp8 developer edition on AWS and was able to play around with Change Manager. I have to do some more analysis on the system privileges like

REPO.MODIFY_CHANGE,

REPO.MODIFY_OWN_CONTRIBUTION, REPO.MODIFY_FOREIGN_CONTRIBUTION etc.

Thanks,

Aamod