cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quality notification possible performance problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear experts,

In our company we plan to use Quality notification to record the data for each serial number produced in the plant.

For each serial number the Q-notification is created.

For each serial number the defects could be recorded and also other data will be written on the notification item level.

Yearly we produce about 500000 pieces of equipment, that means 500000 Q-notifications will be created yearly, each notification with about 5-10 items.

Now I am worrying weather if the big amount of data could cause performance problems.?

500000 notifications x 10items means 5000000 yearly records.

I know there could be problem when Q-notification has a lot of items. What about in my case? A lot of notifications with few items.

Can I expect performance problems?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member184666
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Milan,

I believe you are doing results recording with reference to the serial number. Quality Notifications are used incase there is any defect/rejection during results recording for communicating and processing the defects. For the particular defect only we need to trigger the notification. Creating notification for each serial number is not good idea which increases the notications count. As expert has already suggested check with basis consultant for space contraints who can guide you accordingly.

Thanks & Regards,

Ramagiri

Former Member
0 Kudos

We do not use result recording & defect recording at all. I just want to create notification with BAPI ( like transaction QM01 does).

So there are no duplicated notification created.

For the most of the notification also no any further actions will be triggered. Only the report like QM11 will be used (or a query) to display the summary ans statistic.

former_member184666
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Milan,

So,Notifications are created for record purpose. Share statistics on monthly/yearly expected notifications count with basis team who can guide you on space constraints and performance issues. Since data storage is huge its better to also plan on archive.

I believe report will definetly take time in executing due to huge data maintanence.

Have a look on the below SAP notes.

71935 - Using archive and storage systems

103733 - COMPOSITE SAP NOTE: ALL NOTES ON DATA ARCHIVING

Thanks & Regards,

Ramagiri

Former Member
0 Kudos

I guess setting of indexes to right fields in QMFE and QMEL tables could definetely improve the performance.

But I agree archiving is also an option.

Former Member
0 Kudos

As you are capturing the parameters & other details through MIC in QM, why do you want to again create Notification to update duplicate data??

Not all products will have defects to create notification. Only for defective products, you can use QM notification.

Regarding performance issue, its pure Basis part. So check with them on free space available for storing the data in SAP system. You can decide your solution accordingly.

Note: Please close the duplicate thread. http://scn.sap.com/thread/3515983